Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D90 Issues (More than likely User issues)

Coolwataz

Question

I have the trial version of BYN being utilized on a Windows 10 laptop with a Nikon D90.  I see that previous customers have posted about the need for another cord in order to shoot in Bulb mode (which I already have the hand remote that Shoestring sells, so not sure how that helps).  I am practicing a 'session' and I have it set to save pictures to PC only.  I run through a quick session of just 3 exposures; however, nothing is saved under the designated folder.  I switch it so it saves to the camera only.  After the session, no images exist on the camera. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated with the second issue.  I'm assuming that I will have to unhook the camera from BYN/my laptop to take exposures with the hand remote that will be requiring the Bulb setting?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 answers to this question

So, during your test exposure run were any images displayed on the screen when you selected "save to PC"? Were you on the Imaging screen or the Frame & Focus screen? If you were on the Frame & Focus screen, you need to make sure that the Save Snap Images option is checked on the Settings dialog.

For complete functionality with the D90 you need to run 2 cables, in parallel, between the PC and the camera. One is a USB cable and the other is the DSUSB cable that allows BYN to control the shutter for BULB exposures. The manual remote shutter cable will not be useful when you are using BYN.

Save to Card does not work for all model, the D90 is one of them so stick to Save to PC, always.

You say you have the DSUSB cable plugged in.  That is good.  However, did you tell BYN to use that cable in the capture plan center? You need to select DSUSB if that is the cable you have.

CapturePlanCenter_CableSupport.jpg

I have to order the DSUSB cord.  In the meantime, I should be able to still take pictures using the remote control that I already possess?  Shouldn't the pictures still get downloaded to the computer through BYN with just the regular USB attached?

Yes, the regular USB cable is used for downloading images.

I tried what you suggested with my Canon T5i and was very surprised that it worked.  That is, I connected the camera to the PC with the regular USB cable and then started up BYE and connected it to the camera. Then I used a manual remote shutter to capture an exposure. I expected that the image would not be downloaded to BYE because BYE had not requested the image, but I was wrong. Apparently, the Canon SDK and BYE respond to "Image Ready" events, even though BYE did not initiate those events.

There are some cautions, however. The capture settings that were used were those which already the current settings in the camera, with the exception of the duration of the bulb exposure which is controlled by you via the remote shutter.

So, if your Nikon (and the Nikon SDK) works like my Canon you may be able to use a remote shutter AND store those images in your PC.

The gotchas are that you will have to establish the shooting parameters with the controls on the camera AND recognize that those parameters will not be reflected in the name of the image file that is created BYN. Another option could be to take a throw-away image with the desired capture settings. This will cause BYE/BYN to establish those settings in the camera. You can then simply use the remote shutter to capture additional images with the same settings.

Hopefully, it will be simple to confirm whether BYN behaves as BYE does.

Thanks! I learned something new.

I tried what you suggested with my Canon T5i and was very surprised that it worked.  That is, I connected the camera to the PC with the regular USB cable and then started up BYE and connected it to the camera. Then I used a manual remote shutter to capture an exposure. I expected that the image would not be downloaded to BYE because BYE had not requested the image, but I was wrong. Apparently, the Canon SDK and BYE respond to "Image Ready" events, even though BYE did not initiate those events.

That is exactly what is happening.  The camera fires the event and BYE already listen to this event and as a result downloads the image.  Because it was not triggered by BYE the image file name is slimmer and does not contain an target information but it does add the traditional BYE time stamp to it.

Regards,

I'm going to try again.  I swear I had a setting selected that said save to PC only.  When I take a picture, the shutter goes off and everything but it doesn't save.  The only time it saves is if I click "Preview" and then it takes a picture and saves it.  I'm going to look again right now!

I'm going to try again.  I swear I had a setting selected that said save to PC only.  When I take a picture, the shutter goes off and everything but it doesn't save.  The only time it saves is if I click "Preview" and then it takes a picture and saves it.  I'm going to look again right now!

If previews are saved then I'm certain capture images are saved to, it is the same process.

Send me the log files and I will confirm.

Regards,

Archived