Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

NEF to fits?

Gasman

Question

Hi guys

Just reading most of the posts relating to the image formats from Nikon`s and wondering what would be the best way (If its possible?) to convert NEF files to Fits format?. I take spectra of stars using my spectroscope with my Atik 314L on my main scope and these produce images in Fits format which is exactly what my main spectroscopy software requires.

My Nikon D5500 camera (it arrives on Friday!) will be used away from home with a small 80mm refractor and a Star Analyser grating to take low res spectra (and also day to day use).

I have Pixinsight,Maxim,Astroart  etc and wondering if they can do the conversion or does anyone know of any other app that can convert NEF to Fits please? I have some other spectro software which can use jpg,tiff`s,fits etc but its not as accurate!.

thanks

Steve

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 answers to this question

There are numerous Apps that can do NEF->TIFF Conversions in Batch, although several of them will try to "Develop" (Post-Process) the data in-process.

There are rather few Anything->FITS Apps in the Amateur World, because there are so few modern uses for FITS in our Amateur World...

I don`t disagree but its something I`ve not paid much attention to before. AFAIK  Imaging with ccd`s the defacto format seems to be fits format??. My Atik 314l will happily shoot fits files all day and I assume so will the Starlight ccd`s and many other amateur ccd`s. All my software packages Astroart, Maxim, Pixinsight etc etc all seem happy working with Fits images as does all my spectro software packages too. I`m not aware of any lack of support regarding this format and I`ve been observing many years.

cheers

Steve

I don`t disagree but its something I`ve not paid much attention to before. AFAIK  Imaging with ccd`s the defacto format seems to be fits format??. My Atik 314l will happily shoot fits files all day and I assume so will the Starlight ccd`s and many other amateur ccd`s. All my software packages Astroart, Maxim, Pixinsight etc etc all seem happy working with Fits images as does all my spectro software packages too. I`m not aware of any lack of support regarding this format and I`ve been observing many years.

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

If you get utterly stuck finding a batch capable NEF => FITS converter, I'm willing to knock up a utility using IDL, the language of Professional Astronomy, that will

call DCRAW to create TIFF files from a folder of NEF files, and then use IDL routines to read the TIFF files and write out FITS files.

It won't be quick,or pretty, and it will help if you have a gutsy PC with oodles of HDD space and RAM. Oh, and 64 bit Windows.

Cheers,

Andrew

www.skippysky.com.au

Archived