Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

connection problem with Z8

brian.ohiggins@rogers.com

Question

BYN 3.5.0 pre-release, will not connect to my Z8.   Nikon tether works, and windows device manager recognizes the camera.   Yes, I attempted after clean restarts.      Camera USB setting on MTP/PTP.   Any suggestions?     I just get this...   

10:15:11  BackyardNIKON 3.5.0 RC6
10:15:24  Attempting to connect camera...
10:15:25  NikonX64/Z8 drivers initialized.
10:15:32  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)

7 answers to this question

The Z8 manual is a bit vague about what option USB option to choose. It seems like MTP/PTP would be correct.

Make sure to include which RC (release candidate) you are using and also whether you are using the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version of BYN when you update your issue.

Other things to try:

1. Make sure that the memory card in the camera is nearly or completely empty of image files.
  2. Make sure that no other application is connected to the camera when you try to use BYN. It may be possible that Windows autoruns some other app, perhaps a Nikon camera control app, when it first detects the camera. This will prevent BYN from connecting.
  3. You may have to disable WiFi in the camera to allow connection via USB.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by "I can't try reversing these".

At this point only the Z8 and Z9 require the 64-bit version of BYN. This is because Nikon is only supporting them in the 64-bit version of their SDK.

I would expect that the D850 would be supported in both the 32-bit version AND the 64-bit version of BYN.