Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
Sign in to follow this  
SteveRosenow

BackyardNIKON - D5100 - Planetary test

Question

Last night afforded me the first real opportunity to test out BackyardNIKON. After taking my desktop computer outside as well as the telescope, I began hooking up the necessary cables to get everything working. After that, I aimed the telescope towards Jupiter and did an initial test of 100 frames. After the corresponding files were recorded to the hard drive, I then initiated a test run of 2100 frames @24fps.

Since the D5100 doesn't have video zoom in LiveView (at least one that can be recordable), I used the full frame. 

After running the resulting AVI through Autostakkert!2 and final wavelet processing in Registax6, I have to say that so far, things are performing very well.

Here's the image I acquired with it.

10176059_10152517635858296_3707385295784069937_n.jpg

9 answers to this question

I love these... finally the nikoniens will have something to brag about regarding software at par with Canon.

This one goes in the history book being BackyardNIKON -first- true light.

Thank you for sharing.

Guylain

I love these... finally the nikoniens will have something to brag about regarding software at par with Canon.

This one goes in the history book being BackyardNIKON -first- true light.

Thank you for sharing.

Guylain

You're welcome!

I certainly enjoyed the acquisition part! :)

Steve,

Beautiful pictures! You should consider posting these as the Nikon "first" in C.N.'s DSLR subforum!

ccs_hello

I had thought about that, but the last several posts I have made on Cloudy Nights have generated little interest as far as planetary or deep sky imaging. 

The last one I posted didn't even generate a reply. Same is true for Astronomyforum.net.

I have sort of developed the opinion that there's somewhat of a 'clique' amongst imagers on CN.