Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Problem upgrading to 3.1.18

CygnusX-1

Question

I upgraded to 3.1.18, everything seemed to install correctly on the pc.  The program starts in night vision mode and when I click connect a box opens up asking me to select my camera driver but the box is empty.  There are are no driver options listed, no way to connect the camera and when I click on settings the following message pops up:  "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit the application will close immediately."  "Object referenced not set to an instance of an object."  

I attached a copy of the details provided along with the last log file.

I have been using previous versions BYE on the same PC since June 2016 without encountering any prior issues.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

Document.rtf logfile-[20191222-14h27m35s826]-[13804]-2019-12-22.txt

17 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, admin said:

Okay, I just repackaged the setup file using the older version of the setup package I've been using for years without issues.

This this and let be know if it works; this is the same 3.1.18 release re-packaged.  If this works I'll downgrade all my development computers to to the same older version that has been working for years.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlkpoKUiQwwzmKUHBG9F5N4IMd7VMw?e=Kz67N7

Thank you.

Ok, what ever you did to this version of 3.1.18 worked.  I am able to operate the software, connect to the camera and capture images just fine. 

Thank you :)

This seems to be an install issue.  Please re-install and try again.

This is the second report I'm getting with this issue.  I upgraded the install software I use to the latest release when I created the setup file for 3.1.18; I wonder if this could be the issue?

Please keep me posted.  I need to get to the bottom of this.

Regards,

32 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling 3.1.18 twice with no luck.  Finally, I reverted back to the version that I had been using ( 3.1.11) which is working just fine.  Let me know when you come up with a fix for 3.1.18. 

Thank you

That almost not make any sense.  In any case, I'll revert back to the old version of the setup software I've been using for several years and see if this fixes it.

Thank you for reporting back.

Regards,

On 12/22/2019 at 5:17 PM, CygnusX-1 said:

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling 3.1.18 twice with no luck.  Finally, I reverted back to the version that I had been using ( 3.1.11) which is working just fine.  Let me know when you come up with a fix for 3.1.18. 

Thank you

Okay, I just repackaged the setup file using the older version of the setup package I've been using for years without issues.

This this and let be know if it works; this is the same 3.1.18 release re-packaged.  If this works I'll downgrade all my development computers to to the same older version that has been working for years.

<<link removed>>

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Ok, what ever you did to this version of 3.1.18 worked.  I am able to operate the software, connect to the camera and capture images just fine. 

Thank you :)

Thank you for trying it out.  I didn't change anything... I just recreated the setup.exe with the older version of the package software I've been using for many years.  I guess they have an issue with the latest version.  I will update the download link with this new one in case this happens again with other users.

Regards,

Good evening.

I have the same issue with the newest version (3.1.18) from 3.1.16 with your newest file, see attached file.

When I try to install oldest version (3.1.16 or 3.1.17), I have the same problem 😭

Do you have any idea about that (I'm on WIN 10 19.09).

Regards.

Julien from France

Capture1.JPG

14 minutes ago, antonnetti said:

Good evening.

I have the same issue with the newest version (3.1.18) from 3.1.16 with your newest file, see attached file.

When I try to install oldest version (3.1.16 or 3.1.17), I have the same problem 😭

Do you have any idea about that (I'm on WIN 10 19.09).

Regards.

Julien from France

This appears to be an installation.  

Please download the latest 3.1.18 from the website download section, not the temporary onedrive link above (which I have just removed).

Uninstall any previous version, then re-install in a different folder to make sure everything is fresh.  Also, please reboot after the installation.  It may help. 

Keep us posted please.

1 hour ago, antonnetti said:

OK, how can I keep my settings before uninstalling ?

If you install in the same folder the settings will survive the instillation.

If you install in a new folder your settings will be the default one.  This is what I recommend for now since we are trying to isolate an issue.

2 hours ago, mike@astrospider.com said:

I've had the same issue upgrading from 3.1.16 to 3.1.18 using the main download section link this evening (29th Dec). Going to try uninstall now and go back to 3.1.16 - fortunately it is still cloudy outside !  🙂

I'm stumped.  I'm pretty sure the issue is related to StructureMap, a Inversion of Control tool I use, since it looks like some dll are not loading.  What I don't understand (yet) is that I have not upgraded the version of StructureMap in over 6 years and there is nothing special in 3.1.18 versus 3.1.17 and earlier version.

However, please install 3.1.18 in a separate folder (this is very important) and report if this is working or not.

Thank your for keeping me informed, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

18 minutes ago, antonnetti said:

Hello.

Issue solved with your tip. Thanks !

Julien

Can you please be more specific for the tips I provided?  I provided a few in the thread and it would be nice to have it documented here on the forum for future users.

Thank you.

Hi, yes issues like this can be very difficult to track down when it's working on the developers machine.

So I uninstalled 3.1.18 then reinstalled 3.1.16 which is working OK.

Then tried to follow your tip of 3.1.18 install to a different directory - however the installer is not offering the option to pick the install directory so I have cancelled that as I need a working installation.

PC is Win 10 v1903 up to date with all monthly updates. A/V is Symantec Internet Security.

7 minutes ago, mike@astrospider.com said:

Hi, yes issues like this can be very difficult to track down when it's working on the developers machine.

So I uninstalled 3.1.18 then reinstalled 3.1.16 which is working OK.

Then tried to follow your tip of 3.1.18 install to a different directory - however the installer is not offering the option to pick the install directory so I have cancelled that as I need a working installation.

PC is Win 10 v1903 up to date with all monthly updates. A/V is Symantec Internet Security.

You need to uninstall first using Windows uninstall programs... and then you should be offered to re-install in a different folder.  

Thank you.

Il y a 10 heures, admin a dit :

Can you please be more specific for the tips I provided?  I provided a few in the thread and it would be nice to have it documented here on the forum for future users.

Thank you.

Sure : as your software installs itself by default in the directory "BackyardEOSv3.1", I renamed the current folder to "BackyardEOSv3.1_old" and I install the new one.

Thanks.