Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Pre-Stretching???

Shelster1973

Question

Not sure if this is a settign that I am missing but have a strange experience with the preview images as displayed in BYN.

The images all appear to be brighter than when displayed on my main processing computer.  The hitogram is way off to the right also, yet when loaded up in either Nebulosity, DSS or even Nikon File Viewer they are dark images.

A great example was when I was shooting some lights the other day.  On my laptop going by preview image and also histogram, they all appeared fine with white image and histogrram was on the right hand third line, yet when I went to stack them into a master flat, they all came out as greys and not as white as I would be liking.

Have turned off all on camera processing so am just getting as true a RAW grab as possible.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 answers to this question

Not sure if this is a settign that I am missing but have a strange experience with the preview images as displayed in BYN.

The images all appear to be brighter than when displayed on my main processing computer.  The hitogram is way off to the right also, yet when loaded up in either Nebulosity, DSS or even Nikon File Viewer they are dark images.

A great example was when I was shooting some lights the other day.  On my laptop going by preview image and also histogram, they all appeared fine with white image and histogrram was on the right hand third line, yet when I went to stack them into a master flat, they all came out as greys and not as white as I would be liking.

Have turned off all on camera processing so am just getting as true a RAW grab as possible.

BackyardEOS and BackyardNIKON both displays the embedded JPG inside the .CR2.  This is why you see colors and a brighter image than most processing software where they load the raw linear image.

Does this make sense?

Regards,

It does indeed and many thanks for clarifying the point.

Is there a way to have BYN display the RAW image or will it only display the embedded JPG?

There is no way now... but the latest BETA uses DCRAW to load images and if all goes will with additional testing I will offer the possibility to display linear image as an advance feature.  I want to keep BYE and BYN extremely easy and intuitive to use and have the raw/linear darker image will have the beginners screaming for help wondering where there image is.  But I do understand the seasoned photography wanting to see the raw linear image.

I may actually force loading the linear data when taking flats, then calculate the ADU, then automatically adjust the duration and take optimum flats based on that :)  Those are the plans.

Regards,

Archived