Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

DSUSB-IR1- Does it work?

jbslus2

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to BYN... so new in fact that I haven't actually downloaded the program yet.  I wanted to gather everything I would need before jumping in.  I have a D5100.  I've been offered a Shoestring Astronomy DSUSB-IR1 cable but I've not been able to find confirmation that it would work.  I know the wired DSUSB connection is preferred, but I could acquire the DSUSB-IR1 at a discount.  Will it work in BYN?

Thanks so much for your help.

Joe

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 answers to this question

So it turns out I told a little lie in my last post... the deal on the DSUSB-IR1 was too good to pass up and I just had to give it a try.  I wanted to pass along what I learned.   When choosing "DSUSB" in the cable support drop down menu, it would work okay for 1 exposure but would give me the "Unable to open shutter" message when attempting multiple exposures.  However, when I choose the "DSUSB-D40" option it seems to be working flawlessly.  

I'm on Windows 10 and am running BYN 1.0.4.  The camera is a D5100.  

As for how the IR setup works in the field and not in my living room, that's for another day.  Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else is trying the DSUSB-IR1.

Yes, this is correct.  The D40 does not have an intervalometer port but it does have an IR receiver.

I should probably rename the DSUSB-D40 to DSUSB-IR because that is what it really is.  

Thanks for coming back to report your findings. 

Archived