Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYEOS - PHD2 - Orion Star Shoot Autoguider - Windows 10

PoppaChris

Question

I know this was discussed a bit somewhere else on the forum, but I can't seem to find it.

Several people were complaining that their Canon (and Nikons for BYEN) cameras weren't connecting, that PHD2 Guiding wouldn't work, and that the Orion Star Shoot Autoguider wasn't being recognized at all after the operating system was upgraded to Windows 10. 

After reading some of these horror stories I held off on updating my operating system for fear of losing my ability to do astrophotography.

I am happy to  announce (sort of) that I recently upgraded my imaging laptop (an aging HP Pavilion dv7-4280) to Windows 10.  After some heartburn with reloading some important applications, I decided to start testing each app. 

BYEOS 3.1.5 Loaded and seemed to run just fine.  PHD2 also booted up OK (neither had cameras connected). 

With PHD2 open I connected the Orion autoguider.  At first I thought it wasn't going to work, but after about a full minute Windows finally searched for a driver.  Then the Orion camera was finally recognized and I could simulate shooting darks and searching for a guide star.  This was enough to tell me the software would work OK.

Leaving PHD2 running with the autoguider connected as I would normally, I launched BYEOS.  Again it took Windows a short time to begin the search for a Canon EOS driver for my T2i (550D).  BYEOS connected and I ran each module to test, frame and Focus, Image Capture, Planetary (I didn't do the Drift Align routine as I was in my living room).  All functions worked just fine.

To complete my testing I used my test Canon CR2 raw files and opened them in both Photoshop CS6 and in PixInsight.  Both programs made test adjustments just fine.

The Planetary AVI file was tested with both Registax 6 and Autostakkert2.  Also no problems.

To summarize:  I'm giving Windows 10 a clean bill of health for working with my astrophotography hobby.  Just be patient and make sure you give the new operating system time to setup the drivers it needs.

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived