Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Bata Testing

ekallgren

Question

Downloaded the software and was able to connect to my D5100 and tested the following in the house of course.

Imaging Mode: was able to change shutter speeds, aperture, duration, ISO and pause

Frame and Focus:  was able to change shutter speeds, aperture, ISO and pause

Planetary Mode; was able to record an AVI and 100 frames and put them in the right folders

Bulb over a DSUSB cable.

So far it works much like BYEOS.

Now waiting for clear dark skies to test it on a telescope.

More to follow.

Eric

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

BackyardNikon stopped recognizing my D5100 after taking a few pictures in my livingroom through the capture plan center(non bulb)1 sec.Set to 4 exposures,only shot  2 of them.The program seemed to freeze but I think it's because the camera suddenly became unrecognized,though nothing was shut off or unplugged.must have tried 20 times to reconnect but no luck.I was just out the other night imaging M81,the program worked great.

Richard

BackyardNikon stopped recognizing my D5100 after taking a few pictures in my livingroom through the capture plan center(non bulb)1 sec.Set to 4 exposures,only shot  2 of them.The program seemed to freeze but I think it's because the camera suddenly became unrecognized,though nothing was shut off or unplugged.must have tried 20 times to reconnect but no luck.I was just out the other night imaging M81,the program worked great.

Richard

Try rebooting the computer or force closing BackyardNIKON and all associated elements in the Task Manager.

I've had that issue happen once with the D5100 I have. I rebooted the computer first, and the second time it happened, I force-closed by way of "End Process" all associated BackyardNIKON elements.

As for the Bulb exposure testing - I've got a workaround you might be interested in at about half the cost of a DSUSB kit. It does work - runs off of a USB dongle with RTS-Serial output and a custom-modified MC-DC2 shutter release.

It's also an all-in-one cable that hooks directly to the PC via USB and the camera's remote shutter control port. No secondary cables or two-cable setups that require a clunky box.

http://forum.otelescope.com/post/dsusb-cable-alternative-tested-and-works-in-backyardnikon-6858922?pid=1282534243

Richard

Try rebooting the computer or force closing BackyardNIKON and all associated elements in the Task Manager.

I've had that issue happen once with the D5100 I have. I rebooted the computer first, and the second time it happened, I force-closed by way of "End Process" all associated BackyardNIKON elements.

As for the Bulb exposure testing - I've got a workaround you might be interested in at about half the cost of a DSUSB kit. It does work - runs off of a USB dongle with RTS-Serial output and a custom-modified MC-DC2 shutter release.

It's also an all-in-one cable that hooks directly to the PC via USB and the camera's remote shutter control port. No secondary cables or two-cable setups that require a clunky box.

http://forum.otelescope.com/post/dsusb-cable-alternative-tested-and-works-in-backyardnikon-6858922?pid=1282534243

Can you please reboot your computer and try again?

The root cause is the Nikon/Windows driver.  When you first connect your camera to the computer Windows puts it in "Image Download" mode.  When the Nikon SDK sees a camera is connected it tries to switch to "PC Controlled" mode and only then can the SDK connect to it for PC controlled operations.

Unfortunaly that switch does not always take place... and I have found that the only way to reset the Nikon/Windows driver was to reboot.  I pretty harsh solution in my book <_>

Guylain

Thanx for the replies,Guylain,I do believe you're right I rebooted and seems to work fine again...will remember that.oh by the way Steve,I am wanting your cable but being credit cardless,I'll have to figure something else for sure,my wife says I can email you money,thanx again,

Richard

Thanx for the replies,Guylain,I do believe you're right I rebooted and seems to work fine again...will remember that.oh by the way Steve,I am wanting your cable but being credit cardless,I'll have to figure something else for sure,my wife says I can email you money,thanx again,

Richard

I take PayPal if you have an account there.

PM me and we'll go from there.

Hi Guylain,just downloaded the beta today.So far all the basic functions work very well,the D5100 connected flawlessly,Live view works,frame and focus and image capture all work fine.I just need to take this to the telescope shed.I don't have a dsusb cable so I can't report on the bulb issue.

Thank you,Richard

Archived