Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Can't connect BYE v3.2 to Canon EOS 20D running Windows 10, 64-bit

gaughanglent

Question

Yeah, old camera. Downloaded trial version BYE v3.2. Software opens but won't connect to camera. Camera is on, connected via USB, and visible. Item 3 in the error message indicates 20D does "not work on Windows 64 bits". However, Windows forums indicate older 32 bit programs should run (intrinsic emulator in Win11 detects 32 bit programs). I assume BYE v3.2 is 64 bit and I have no problem downloading files from the camera to the 64 bit computer, so it's not clear where the 32/64 non-compatibility lies. Please provide specific directions. Thank you.

6 answers to this question

This issue is not BYE, the 20D is 17 years old. 

Canon only has 32 bit drivers for this camera.  Please consult the camera support grid matrix, link is in the page footer here on the website.  The 20D requires a 32 bits Operating Systems, it will never work on Windows 64 bits.

You need a minimum DIGIC III camera to run on Windows 64 bits.... and Canon released their first DIGIC III camera in 2008, it's the 450D / XSi. Anything newer will work, any older will not.

Thank you for the prompt response. Unfortunately, I do not completely understand it (non-IT expert). The EOS 20D is listed your page https://www.otelescope.com/byecameras.html/. It indicates under "Operating System" that BYE will 'work' with "W10 (32 bits)". Microsoft indicates (e.g. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog64/running-32-bit-applications/ that a 32 bit emulator is 'built into' W10 so the OS should detect the 20D 32 bit drivers and automatically switch to emulation mode when required. WHat you seem to be telling me is that this will not work. The only solution would be to find a pc with a 32 bit processor and a 32 bit version of Windows installed. Puzzling if this is so as it would seem to me (again, non-IT expert) that the point of emulation is to avoid exactly that problem. In other words, you are telling me that there is no emulation mode or any other work around that would allow BYE to connect to a 20D using a machine with a 64 bit processor - is that the case?

No worries.

Bottom line is that the 20D will never work on Windows 64 bits.... Canon has no 64 bits driver for this model. It ends here, it will not work, period.

A 32 bit emulator is useless here because the host Windows is 64 bits.

You need to buy a newer camera, or install a true Windows 32 bits without an emulator.

1 hour ago, gaughanglent said:

Puzzling if this is so as it would seem to me (again, non-IT expert) that the point of emulation is to avoid exactly that problem. In other words, you are telling me that there is no emulation mode or any other work around that would allow BYE to connect to a 20D using a machine with a 64 bit processor - is that the case?

You are mixing "Emulation" wrt 32-bit Programs, and the old Windows Driver Model which was actually 16/32-bit.  Windows 10 can run "most" older 32-bit Programs (unless they made direct Hardware Access), but when Microsoft changed the Windows Driver Model along with Windows 7 there was a rather hard-line drawn requiring the "new" Drivers.

Yes, the Canon Driver for the 20D requires truly 32-bit Windows7/10 (or an ancient copy of WinXP).

Thanks to admin & s3igell for prompt responses. Am not sufficiently knowledgeable to truly understand the underlying computing but the bottom line is now clear. Pity, as the 20D performs wonderfully for general photography and I'm not really keen on buying another camera at my age while making exploratory steps into astrophotography. BYE seems to do wonderful things.

Low-level drivers, like the Canon driver that is required for Windows to recognize the camera must be written for the bitness of the operating system. In the case of the 20D, Canon dropped support for the camera before 64-bit Windows was released so they never created a 64-bit driver it. So there is only a 32-bit driver that was originally written for XP. That is why you need a 32-bit version of Windows.

If had a 32-bit version of Windows and could find that driver, say from the software CD that came with the camera, you would still have to get a driver from the Windows XP era to install on Windows 10.

You should consider finding a fully functioning T5i to use for astrophotography. You should be able to find one for less than $300.