Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Finally… BackyardNIKON V1 BETA01 is released.

Question

YOUPEE!!!

In this initial BETA release my only goal is camera connectivity, basic image acquisition, and live view.

Please report the following issues ONLY for now.

1. Camera connection issues
  2. Live view not working issues
  3. Taking picture issues (not BULB unless you have a DSUSB cable which does work in BETA 01).  TV pictures in ‘M’ dial mode are working so please report any issues if taking TV images does not work.
KNOWN ISSUES.

1. BULB over USB does not work yet, for any models.  BULB will only work if you have a DSUSB cable in this initial BETA 01 release.
  2. NEF images download but will not be displayed.  For this reason I have set the default image setting to RAW+JPG so images can be shown in BackyardNIKON.

The BETA installer comes pre-compiled with a BETA license.  The BETA installer will NOT install over your current BackyardEOS so fear not.

I have personally tested camera connection with…

• D90
  • D5100
  • D7000
I also expect the following camera to connect properly, but I can’t be sure.

• D5200
  • D5300
  • D7100
  • D800
All other models I’m not sure… BUT it may connect and if it does you will get a message like the following and liveview will not work, but taking pictures should/might.

Device(#####) Module(Type###) found!

PLEASE CONTACT US with the above information.

We may be able to hook it up properly in BETA 02.

This is exciting, thank you for your support and interest,

Guylain & Chris

I'm not a Nikon user, and yet I'm still EXCITED !!

It's GREAT seeing Guylain's Efforts coming to Fruition !!

Hopefully, this Beta Effort will be relatively short and productive...

(And yes, once BinaryRivers has opened up "the Backyard" to Nikon Users, too, that BYEOS v3.1 will then soon be delivered with another batch of Features and Updates for us Canon Users...  You didn't think I was all that generous, did you ??  :rolleyes: )

I'm not a Nikon user, and yet I'm still EXCITED !!

It's GREAT seeing Guylain's Efforts coming to Fruition !!

Hopefully, this Beta Effort will be relatively short and productive...

(And yes, once BinaryRivers has opened up "the Backyard" to Nikon Users, too, that BYEOS v3.1 will then soon be delivered with another batch of Features and Updates for us Canon Users...  You didn't think I was all that generous, did you ??  :rolleyes: )

So true :)

Guylain

Guylain and Chris,

April 6, wee early hours of the morning, I downloaded backyard Nikon beta 1.0.0 and installed it on my laptop.

I attempted to connect to my Nikon D300S and it failed. I tried a 2nd time with the same results. The camera is connected to the laptop by the USB cable, I am able to go into the camera, look at the memory data, parameters etc. using other software so the cameras connected to the laptop Okay.

However the one thing I did not do, was hook up the DSUSB, would this be necessary? The reason I did not hookup my DSUSB while sitting here on the couch at 1:45 AM and I simply wanted to see if it would connect to theNikon D300S  camera. No error messages were generated, only the message that no camera was found.

Mitch...

YOUPEE!!!

In this initial BETA release my only goal is camera connectivity, basic image acquisition, and live view.

Please report the following issues ONLY for now.

3. Taking picture issues (not BULB unless you have a DSUSB cable which does work in BETA 01).  TV pictures in ‘M’ dial mode are working so please report any issues if taking TV images does not work.
KNOWN ISSUES.

1. BULB over USB does not work yet, for any models.  BULB will only work if you have a DSUSB cable in this initial BETA 01 release.
  2. NEF images download but will not be displayed.  For this reason I have set the default image setting to RAW+JPG so images can be shown in BackyardNIKON.

The BETA installer comes pre-compiled with a BETA license.  The BETA installer will NOT install over your current BackyardEOS so fear not.

I have personally tested camera connection with…

• D90
  • D5100
  • D7000
I also expect the following camera to connect properly, but I can’t be sure.

• D5200
  • D5300
  • D7100
  • D800
All other models I’m not sure… BUT it may connect and if it does you will get a message like the following and liveview will not work, but taking pictures should/might.

Device(#####) Module(Type###) found!

PLEASE CONTACT US with the above information.

We may be able to hook it up properly in BETA 02.

This is exciting, thank you for your support and interest,

Guylain & Chris

Mitch,

You do not need the DSUSB to connect to the camera, only the camera supplied USB cable is needed for that.  The DSUSB is only for bulb.

Send me the log file at support@binaryrivers.com and I'll take a look.

Log files are in there usual place in "My Pictures\BackyardTEMP\logs"

Thank you

Guylain

Mitch,

I just checked and it seems to be a file missing in the installer for the D300s.  I'll repackage it with the D300s missing file and post another download tomorrow.

Guylain

Thanks so much for this beta Guy.  Downloaded it late last night and played with is today with a D5100, everything in general works. 

I'm assuming that an active guiding session in PHD is required to test the dither function?  I set PHD and PHD2 to enable server in advance.  EDIT: Just found that information under the General info forum area. 

I've also ordered a Dsusb cable to simplify matters (currently using a Vello wireless shutterboss for bulb exposures) 

Small thing, the Yahoo weather center will not change from Celcius to Fahrenheit in BackyardNIKON, no big deal.

Oh, is there a tutorial available oh how to use the Drift Align feature, step by step?  I'm not really sure how this works.

Looking forward to testing the next clear night, and will probably buy that Nikon D610 now...:)

Thanks again for all your efforts,

Paul

Experiencing similar issue with my D3200 on a Win7 laptop (64-bit). Cannot connect to camera. Windows can "see" the camera, but not Nik.

BackyardNIKON will not work with the D3200.

See this post for models that have a SDK.

http://forum.otelescope.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1281995002&postcount=18

Basically the D3### lineup does not have a Nikon SDK and BYE can not connect to it.

Guylain

17:59:46  Licensed to Beta Tester (support@binaryrivers.com)
17:59:49  Nikon drivers initialized.
18:00:01  Attempting to connect camera...
18:00:02  Device(D5000) Module(Type0003) found!
18:00:02  PLEASE CONTACT US with the above information, looks like we may need to make a few adjustment to fully support your camera.  We have our fingers crossed.

Connected w/ USB only.  No live view or image acquisition available.

One giant step forward!

Andy

17:59:46  Licensed to Beta Tester (support@binaryrivers.com)
17:59:49  Nikon drivers initialized.
18:00:01  Attempting to connect camera...
18:00:02  Device(D5000) Module(Type0003) found!
18:00:02  PLEASE CONTACT US with the above information, looks like we may need to make a few adjustment to fully support your camera.  We have our fingers crossed.

Connected w/ USB only.  No live view or image acquisition available.

One giant step forward!

Andy

Thank you Andy.  I should get liveview to work in the next round for the D5000 :)

Image acquisition -should- work with BETA01 when the dial set to 'M' and TV pictures are taken.  Bulb requries a DSUSB cable for the D5000.

Thank you for your time :)

Guylain

BackyardNIKON BETA01b is ready for download using the same link.

http://www.binaryrivers.com/download/setup-BackyardNIKON-v100-BETA01.exe

*** CHANGES ***

- Added live view for D5000, D300s, D3s.

- Added missing Nikon DLL for D300s and D3s in the setup.exe installer.

- Fix camera disconnect issues when closing BackyardNIKON with the camera still connected.

- Fix camera connect button when it was double-clicked... leading to an connect followed by an immediate disconnect.

- A few translation labels.

Please report the following issues ONLY for now, I'm still trying to iron out the basics for all cameras before delving into more complex tests and scenarios.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Getting to a production quality version of BackyardNIKON is probable a 6 to 8 weeks process and I would not be able to do it alone.  You help means you will get a more stable products.

Thank you

Guylain

Downloaded BETA01B and D5000 no longer connects.  Stays at attempting to connect ...

Hope it helps you ...

Andy

Can you please reboot your computer and try again?

I know it seams harsh, but I want to make sure the issue is not the actual Windows/Nikon drivers... which I have seen this to be the cause a few times myself.

Thank you.

Andy, I'm getting the same thing here, it won't connect with me D7000.

Let me take a look and get back to you <_>

EDIT: It was working fine for me... my USB cable was disconnected.  Can't believe I made that error... again [sleep]

Guylain

I didn't take it as harsh at all.  :)  It's my pleasure to help ...

Here's what I've done so far.

1. Restarted PC - no change ... still attempting to connect ... but never does.
  2. Uninstalled, restarted PC, deleted root directory from C:/program (x68)BackyardNIK, reinstalled BETA01b -  no change ... still attempting to connect ... but never does.
  3. Uninstalled, restarted PC, reinstalled the original BETA01 - connects but same as before.  No preview or imaging tab available but it did connect as Type 003
Let me know if there's anything else I can try for you.

Andy

I didn't take it as harsh at all.  :)  It's my pleasure to help ...

Here's what I've done so far.

1. Restarted PC - no change ... still attempting to connect ... but never does.
  2. Uninstalled, restarted PC, deleted root directory from C:/program (x68)BackyardNIK, reinstalled BETA01b -  no change ... still attempting to connect ... but never does.
  3. Uninstalled, restarted PC, reinstalled the original BETA01 - connects but same as before.  No preview or imaging tab available but it did connect as Type 003
Let me know if there's anything else I can try for you.

Andy

Okay, I need to think about this one.  I can't see what I did that would not make it connect in BETA 01B compared to BETA 01.

The fun begins...

Guylain

And it says the temp is -17.8C ... BRRR!!  Not to mention it's cloudy too.  LOLOL  Gonna crash for tonight ... why do today what we can put off until tomorrow?  B)

It's working fine with my D800. Thanks guys, I've been hanging out for this to happen for ages. Almost switched to Canon in frustration :-(

Glad I hung in there.

21:57:34  Licensed to Beta Tester (support@binaryrivers.com)

21:57:36  Nikon drivers initialized.

21:58:41  Attempting to connect camera...

21:58:42  D800 CONNECTED!

22:02:34  Imaging session started.

22:03:06  IMAGE_20140407-22h03m06s509ms.JPG

22:03:10  IMAGE_20140407-22h03m10s407ms.NEF

22:03:17  Imaging session completed successfully

22:03:44  Imaging session started.

22:03:50  Imaging session completed successfully

22:03:54  IMAGE_20140407-22h03m51s095ms.JPG

Tezza

Not a Nikon user, but congratulations on getting this long sought after program off the ground. However if the world clouds over I'm blaming you Nikon people.

Mike

I am very excited to be finally able to use my Nikon for astrophotography just like my Canon buddies. So happy that you guys have created a Nikon version!

Now for the bad news... I am trying to connect my D610 to BN and so far no success. I am using beta01b and windows 7 ultimate. Windows detects the camera and I can see it with my usual camera control software digiCamControl.

<< log file removed >>

I am very excited to be finally able to use my Nikon for astrophotography just like my Canon buddies. So happy that you guys have created a Nikon version!

Now for the bad news... I am trying to connect my D610 to BN and so far no success. I am using beta01b and windows 7 ultimate. Windows detects the camera and I can see it with my usual camera control software digiCamControl.

<< log file removed >>

I have removed your logfile from your post... they are way too long to be part of a thread <_>

Anyhow, I'm using the Nikon SDK to communicate with the cameras.  Unfortunately not all model do have a SDK.  According to Nikon the D610 does not have an SDK by I'm unable to establish a connection with this model.

I suspect digiCamControl is not using the Nikon SDK.

The list of cameras with an SDK is here.

http://forum.otelescope.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1281995002&postcount=18

Thank you

Guylain

Hi Guylain,

This website lists the D610 amongst the cameras that have SDKs

https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/

Bulb over USB is supported for the D610.

Dave

Thanks for the link Dave.  The SDK for the D610 was not in the Package I got from Nikon a few months ago.  I have just applied for a newer package earlier today.  Hopefully I'll get the dll this time.

Thank you for the heads up.

Guylain

Happy to help! :) 

Dave

LOL, I just got my email from Nikon, talk about timing.  The D610 SDK was in my package this time :)

... more work for me now :)

Guylain

YES! That is great news. I'm looking forward to the next beta. Will you be rolling them out on a set schedule?

Dave

No set schedule until I get camera connection issues resolve for most models.  This is priority number one for now.  But I will try to release incremental BETA 01 releases (delimited with a letter following '01') once a week until I resolve most connection issues before BETA 02.

Guylain

Mac user when will be use for test?

BackyardNIKON (just as BackyardEOS) is a MS .net app and only runs on Windows.  You need Parallel (or other virtualization software) to run on Mac.

Guylain