Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Nikon D810A

primeclash

Question

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 answers to this question

I have to say I am very tempted by this. I do own a D610 which, while not optimized for astrophotography produces decent results. I also have an SBIG ST-10XME but it is not 'full frame' (oh my the blooming!). I am pondering going with the D810A instead of a full-frame CCD. Anyone else thinking along these lines?

First, make sure that your Scope is capable of Fully-Illuminating a Full-Frame Sensor!!

You'll need at least a 2.7in Focuser with the 2in Adapter Removed and some Non-Standard Camera Adapter (T-Ring will Vignette Majorly).  And it'd better be one of the Sturdiest Crayford Focusers made, in order to hold the 34oz DSLR...

Besides not having the Budget for a $3800 DSLR, I'll wait for a 24-30MP APS-C DSLR with a Highly Sensitive Sensor...

It is interesting that Nikon DID address several of the "Other Issues" with DSLRs:

Extended the discrete Manual Exposure timings all the way to 900sec.

Extended "Exposure Simulation" for LiveView up to 30sec (from 2sec).

Added an In-Camera Dark Frame Subtraction function (although Canon already has had this Feature for several generations).

Changed the Default ISO to best handle Dark Noise.

Provided Night-Dimming for the OLED Readout at the base of the Viewfinder (although few people Frame or Focus AP Images through the Viewfinder anymore).

Made the Virtual Horizon Level display a Red Line (vs Green).

Shows that they learned there is More to Add to an Astrophotography DSLR than to simply change the IR-Cut Filter.  Good for Nikon!!  Hopefully Canon follows up with a replacement for the 60Da...

Not saying I have the cash .. but ..

I use the D610 on my 'scope with .2.7 inch focuser. There is vignettiing due to the flattener which could theoretically be compensated for if I could take a decent flat to save my life. The other imaging scope has a 4-inch focuser, but I have no flattener for that, and, in the end, it all has to connect to the F mount. What could seal the deal would be a thread-on filter that would let me use the camera for 'terrestrial use'.

Are there 'non standard camera adapters' you can recommend?

Usually the vignetting is not caused by the flattener.  It is caused by incorrect back focus distance, all telescopes/reducers/flatteners require a certain back focus.

I have to say I am very tempted by this. I do own a D610 which, while not optimized for astrophotography produces decent results. I also have an SBIG ST-10XME but it is not 'full frame' (oh my the blooming!). I am pondering going with the D810A instead of a full-frame CCD. Anyone else thinking along these lines?

I own the Canon 60DA, and although I love the images it takes, I was always disappointed with the 1.6 factor of the APS-C.  I also have a QSI-683, which I use for narrowband imaging in the city.  I am abandoning the Canon and going with the Nikon, more Dynamic range and higher ISO's without the noise that the 60DA has.

Just wondering if the Nikon D810 or D810A are supported by BYEOS Nikon?

The D810 has been tested and does work.  I'm assuming the D810a should work as well if it uses the same API calls.

The link for the camera support matrix is at the bottom this page in the footer.

First, make sure that your Scope is capable of Fully-Illuminating a Full-Frame Sensor!!

You'll need at least a 2.7in Focuser with the 2in Adapter Removed and some Non-Standard Camera Adapter (T-Ring will Vignette Majorly).  And it'd better be one of the Sturdiest Crayford Focusers made, in order to hold the 34oz DSLR...

Besides not having the Budget for a $3800 DSLR, I'll wait for a 24-30MP APS-C DSLR with a Highly Sensitive Sensor...

Not saying I have the cash .. but ..

I use the D610 on my 'scope with .2.7 inch focuser. There is vignettiing due to the flattener which could theoretically be compensated for if I could take a decent flat to save my life. The other imaging scope has a 4-inch focuser, but I have no flattener for that, and, in the end, it all has to connect to the F mount. What could seal the deal would be a thread-on filter that would let me use the camera for 'terrestrial use'.

Are there 'non standard camera adapters' you can recommend?

What could seal the deal would be a thread-on filter that would let me use the camera for 'terrestrial use'.

There are Thread-on IR-Cut Filters, which should return you a "Normal" Color Balance - but you'd need a rather Large one in order to thread in-front of your Wider Lenses.

Easier still, just use a Custom White Balance.  I don't know why the Nikon Press Release didn't mention this easy work-around - probably because it wouldn't satisfy the High-End Portrait and Wedding Photographers...

I am abandoning the Canon and going with the Nikon, more Dynamic range and higher ISO's without the noise that the 60DA has.

Enjoy your High-End Nikon DSLR.  But perhaps you should ensure that your comparisons between brands are amongst Like Models. The 60D was engineered in 2008-2009 and released in 2010 - more comparable to the D5100.  The D810 should more likely be compared against the 6D or the 70DmkII.

You'll need at least a 2.7in Focuser with the 2in Adapter Removed and some Non-Standard Camera Adapter 

I modded my Skywatcher ED80 with the 2.5 inch focuser and field flattener hardware from Stellarvue - it works quite well on my D610 - some vignetting out at the edges, but nothing significant.

I agree, 2 inch hardware is inadequate for FF.

Archived