Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Nikon D780 Supported?

soktober

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Of course you mean BackyardNikon, or BYN, not BackyardEOS.

There is a post that is pinned near the top of this Forum entitled "BackyardNIKON camera support grid, is my camera supported?" I have provided a link below.

The likely answer is that the D780 is almost supported. There are two basic requirements for a model to be "supported" by BYN. First, Nikon must have released a version of their Software Development Library or Kit (SDK) that includes support for the camera. Then BYN must be updated to recognize the camera.  When you look at the Supported cameras list, you will see that some models are Not Supported. This can be due to Nikon's choice that they will not allow the model to be tethered. In this case it will never be supported by BYN. This is likely not the case with he D780 since it replaces the D750 which is supported.

If the D780 is supported by the latest SDK then the authors will need to make some code changes to BYN in order to recognize the model. They may need your help for that. Please be patient. They will probably give you a procedure to follow to collect information about the camera. You will need to have BYN to be able to provide this information. This is one of the reasons that BYN has a free 30-day trial license.

Beware that when you use the Trial license, your PC must be connected to the Internet to validate that the license is not expired. This is not the case with a purchased Classic or Premium license.

The RC downloaded fine, the D780 connected, and can snap images (and make changes on the camera).  However, I cannot get live view to work in the Frame and Focus tab (I can get it to take a single frame) and I get an "Out of Memory" error often when I am changing the zoom point.