Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
admin

How-to configure the Weather Information Centre to display ambient temperature.

Question

BackyardEOS and BackyardNIKON support 3 providers for displaying the ambient temperature, humidity, and dew point.

Follow the instructions below to configure your weather center provider.

1) TEMPerHUM

A TEMPerHUM device sells for about $20 on eBay; BackyardEOS supports TEMPerHUM versions 1 and 2.

1.    Plug the TEMPerHUM device in a USB port. 

You do not need to install the drivers that came with it.

2.    In BackyardEOS, open the Settings dialog and set the Weather Provider to ‘TEMPerHUM’ or ‘Auto detect’.

3.    Click the Save button to close the settings window.

2) Yahoo RSS feed

1.    Open your browser and go to http://weather.yahoo.com.

2.    Enter your location and hit enter.

3.    Look in the URL address bar; the numbers at the end is what yahoo calls a WOEID (Where On Earth ID).

4.    In BackyardEOS, open the Settings dialog and set the Weather Provider to ‘Yahoo’ and enter the WOEID in the Yahoo WOEID field.

5.    Click the Save button to close the settings window.

Here is an example (in this case the WOEID is 24002902)

http://weather.yahoo.com/canada/ontario/clarence-creek-24002902

NOTICE:  Yahoo has made breaking changes to their API in February 2016.  As a result BYE/BYN is no longer able to provide Yahoo as a weather source.  This feature is be removed in a future release

3) Text File Delimited

1.    Open the Settings dialog and set the Weather Provider to ‘Text File Delimited’ or ‘Auto detect’.

2.    Click on ‘Text File Mapping”

3.    Select a text file containing the weather information.  BackyardEOS will read the last line only!  This allows for cumulative weather information in the same file over time.

4.    Enter the start position of each field and the number of characters to read from the start position.  The reading box will show the result instantly.

5.    There is no reading required for dew point.  This is because the dew point is calculated from the temperature and humidity level.

6.    Select the readout unit in the file; Fahrenheit or Celsius.

7.    Click the Save button to close the settings window.

I might be dense, but is there a reason I don't see any weather output on the BYE Weather Center? I have a Termperhum that is reporting (in the PCSensor SW) inner temps and humidity, but no Outer Temp or Humidity. It also reports the FirmWare as TEMPerX_V3.3. Is this a driver or hardware issue? Thanks.

As the manufacturer of the TEMPerHUM device came out with newer versions, they changed how applications needed to get the information from them. So I think that BYE only supports certain generations of devices.

20 hours ago, mitchican said:

I might be dense, but is there a reason I don't see any weather output on the BYE Weather Center? I have a Termperhum that is reporting (in the PCSensor SW) inner temps and humidity, but no Outer Temp or Humidity. It also reports the FirmWare as TEMPerX_V3.3. Is this a driver or hardware issue? Thanks.

I have stop supporting the TempPerHum years ago.  The manufacture came up with a different design and a different way to communicate with a the new design every 6 months of so.  This made it impossible to keep up and for that reason the TemPerHum is no longer supported.

Regards.