Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
PLEASE READ ==> If you get a StructureMap or EdsInitializeSDK() error please RE-INSTALL before posting in the forum <==
ouioui01

BYN Premium Edition 2.0.10 - Nikon D800

Question

Hello,

A friend of mine gives me a Nikon D800 (with last firmware from Nikon). I can connect it to BYN with no problem. The only problem i have with it is that i can't use BYN to shoot and save pictures:

1.       Light / Dark / Flats / Bias :

·         save to Camera: KO

·         save to PC: OK

·         save to PC+Camera: camera OK, PC not OK (picture is in download folder of BackyardTEMP folder).

2.       Preview: ok

I configure my setting folders like that

-          Download folder: D:\BackyardNIKON

Sub-folders: LIBRARY

-          Plan folder: D:\BackyardNIKON\Plans

-          Backyard folder: D:\BackyardTEMP

of course, I delete default folders in my pictures folder.

When I launch BYN, it creates again a log file in : D:\Users\myuser\Pictures\ BackyardTEMP\Logs:

Logfile-[timestamp]-backgroundworker- [xxxx]-YYYY-MM-DD

In D:\BackyardTEMP\Logs, I find an another file logfile-[timestamp]-[xxxxx]-YYYY-MM-DD

Do I miss something?

Thanks for your answer and your help.

Bests regards,

Ouioui01

NB: With Nikon software (camera control pro2), i can shoot and save to camera directly from the software

Logs-BYN.zip

I believe it's Rev 7 (Sept 2018) for the D800.  I do think it is the last one because it was downloaded Dec 12, 2019 and that was the latest then.

You have repeatedly said the following:

·         save to PC+Camera: camera OK, PC not OK (picture is in download folder of BackyardTEMP folder).

I must be misunderstanding this because I believe it to mean the following:

1) when you select Save To Camera you have no problem...You say KO but I assume that a typo that really means OK

2) when you select Save To PC you have no problem

3) when you select Save To PC+Camera the image is saved to the camera but not to the PC. In this case, the image is in the BackyardTEMP folder, but never moved into the Download folder.

Is this correct?

By the way, the log file attached to your previous post clearly shows the following error:

2019-10-28 22:43:02,888 [CameraTakePictureOnMessageRecieved] DEBUG - TAKE PICTURE ::: Shutter(MANUAL) Cable(CameraUSB) Av(4.5) Duration(5,0) Iso(400) Quality(RAW) Mirror(0) SaveTo(PC+CARD)
2019-10-28 22:43:12,725 [25] DEBUG - NIKON EVENT --> OnDeviceOnImageReady(2,type[1]) fired
2019-10-28 22:43:15,156 [CameraTakePictureOnMessageRecieved] ERROR - [kNkMAIDResult_ValueOutOfBounds] (kNkMAIDCommand_CapStart, 33560, kNkMAIDDataType_GenericPtr, 378861632)
2019-10-28 22:43:15,157 [CameraTakePictureOnMessageRecieved] ERROR -    à BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.Wrapper.NikonTaskQueue.Invoke(Delegate d, Object[] args)
   à BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.Wrapper.NikonBase.Start(eNkMAIDCapability cap, eNkMAIDDataType dataType, Int32 data)
   à BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.Wrapper.NikonDevice.StopBulbCapture()
   à BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.CameraModel.<>c__DisplayClass26_0.<DoTakePictureBulb>b__0()
   à BinaryRivers.Common.ProviderInterfaces.Camera.CameraControllerBase.DoWithCameraLocked(Action action)
   à BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.CameraModel.DoTakePictureBulb(Boolean start, Single mirrorlockseconds)
   à BinaryRivers.Common.Model.CameraModelBase.TakePictureBulb(Single durationseconds, Single mirrorlockseconds, String progresstext)
   à BinaryRivers.Common.Model.CameraModelBase.<>c__DisplayClass77_0.<CameraTakePictureOnMessageRecieved>b__0(Object state)

Have you tried the latest BYN 2.1.0 pre-release version?

Thanks!

16 hours ago, astroman133 said:

You have repeatedly said the following:

I must be misunderstanding this because I believe it to mean the following:

1) when you select Save To Camera you have no problem...You say KO but I assume that a typo that really means OK

2) when you select Save To PC you have no problem

3) when you select Save To PC+Camera the image is saved to the camera but not to the PC. In this case, the image is in the BackyardTEMP folder, but never moved into the Download folder.

Is this correct?

Have you tried the latest BYN 2.1.0 pre-release version?

Thanks!

Hi astroman113,

Can't you read ?

.          save to Camera: KO ==> this is not a typo : i can't save to camera's sdcard ! plan is cancelled (KO is not OK)....

·         save to PC+Camera: camera OK, PC not OK (picture is in download folder of BackyardTEMP folder). => For the first image and then plan is aborted

i tried BYN 2.1.0 pre-release and of course, it's the same thing. I don't know how it could be resolved if devs don't work on it or even try to find a solution for that...

Best regards,

ouioui

Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding, but you could have been more polite!

Guylain has been working on your problem. He made changes for your problem that are in the pre-release. He has said as much.

Oh, and typos are common. My username is astroman133 not astroman113.

Good luck with your problem.

Okay, so I did more testing on this today and I can confirm with 100% certainty that this is a general NIKON SDK issue. It's not a BYN issue.

When saving to card only the camera takes a second or two to save the image to card (depending on the card seed). During this time the SDK is reporting the camera as BUSY... but because BYN is not waiting to download the image it is ready to fire the next take picture command... and it does... but the camera is busy writing to card... so the SDK throws a camera busy error.

The only way to address this is to introduce a 2'ish second pause between images when save to card only is selected. This defeats the purpose. On one had you want to minimize speed by saving to card only, but the Nikon SDK won't allow it unless a pause of a few seconds in introduced... negating the reason why you want to save to card only.

Regards,

1 hour ago, astroman133 said:

What about polling the camera until it is no longer BUSY before starting the next image?

That is a good point but even polling the camera requires an SDK call... and it will throw the same error.  Polling could be done in a loop before hand and proceed only if no longer busy in a try/catch statement... but the outcome is still a zero-sum gain. The OP's reason for save to card only was so save a few seconds and pooling/waiting negates the advantage sought.

My tests (using a D7000) shows that downloading the image takes about the same time as saving the image to card only.

Ok, but if BYN is going to offer the ability to save images to the card, it needs to work, whether it saves any time or not. It also seems as though you have two choices, put in a hard delay to give the camera enough time to become unbusy or poll until the camera says that it is unbusy. The problem with the first option is that it undoubtedly takes longer to process a large image and store it to the SD card than it does a small image. Using one hard delay for all models wastes time for those with small sensor model cameras that could be ready sooner.

Ideally the SDK should tell you, through a callback, when it becomes unbusy, but if that is not possible then a loop with a 1/10 or 1/4 second delay between checks should return as fast as possible and be a good compromise.

I am surprised that there is not a way to read a busy flag, or camera state, from the SDK that does not raise an error.