Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYE generated FITS images

vmcatee

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

BYE is a camera capture program that is written on a part-time basis by a pair of very talented programmers. As such, there are more opportunities for enhancing the functionality and feature set of the software then they can reasonably implement and support. Just my opinion!  They must pick and very carefully choose what features to incorporate and prioritize the implementation to provide the most valuable features first. 

Currently BYE does not do any processing of captured images, similar to Nebulosity, except for the optional conversion of RAW files to TIFF.  Therefore it only saves images as CR2, JPG, or TIFF.  FITS is not a supported format in the current releases.

How would your workflow benefit from having BYE save your images as FITS files?

You are not the first person to ask for this, but IMO nobody has made a good case for it.  Any program that can stack DSLR images will do that conversion already so what is the advantage for BYE to also create FITS files?  A strong answer here and support from the community may increase the importance for providing this capability in BYE/BYN. (I am not speaking for the developers, only saying that if you can make them see the value of this capability they may decide to move this capability higher on their "to do" list).

I am afraid I cannot add anything to the question.  For me, it is a connivance as it saves the conversion step.  FITS seem to process faster on my computer which I believe is a function of memory.  I run 16G of RAM and a SSD on my Mac so it is not a huge issue, rather a nuisance. I can imagine others with less computing horsepower might be more frustrated.

At least I now know to stop looking for it in BYE.

BTWY, I appreciate the development legacy of BYE and believe that software optimized for one thing will almost always out perform software that is trying to do many things.

My only product complaint is that I have to run windows/parallels on my mac to run it.  I understand that is because it is built on the .net framework so I should not hold my breath.

Still, I feel like my mac has cooties.

thanks

van

For me, it is a [convenience] as it saves the conversion step.

As no DSLR natively generates FITS output (Canon produce .CR2 RAW files exclusively), that savings would only be that the Image Capture App were already performing that RAW->FITS Conversion in software and post download from Camera.  There is still the same Conversion being performed, however in your scenario the App performing the Calibration and Stacking will not have the same access to the original CR2 data but must rely instead upon the Capture App for proper implementation.

FITS seem to process faster on my computer which I believe is a function of memory.

That would likely be mainly because the input FITS file data is already debayered during the initial RAW->FITS Conversion.

Still, I feel like my mac has cooties.

Well...  :rolleyes:

On 8/11/2014 at 4:58 PM, astroman133 said:

BYE is a camera capture program that is written on a part-time basis by a pair of very talented programmers. As such, there are more opportunities for enhancing the functionality and feature set of the software then they can reasonably implement and support. Just my opinion!  They must pick and very carefully choose what features to incorporate and prioritize the implementation to provide the most valuable features first. 

Currently BYE does not do any processing of captured images, similar to Nebulosity, except for the optional conversion of RAW files to TIFF.  Therefore it only saves images as CR2, JPG, or TIFF.  FITS is not a supported format in the current releases.

How would your workflow benefit from having BYE save your images as FITS files?

You are not the first person to ask for this, but IMO nobody has made a good case for it.  Any program that can stack DSLR images will do that conversion already so what is the advantage for BYE to also create FITS files?  A strong answer here and support from the community may increase the importance for providing this capability in BYE/BYN. (I am not speaking for the developers, only saying that if you can make them see the value of this capability they may decide to move this capability higher on their "to do" list).

My workflow would benefit from this for plate solving. PlateSolver2 will derive RA/DEC information from FITS file headers. PlateSolver2 doesn't even support .cr2 files so I basically can't use it with BYE for plate solving (unless I'm missing something which is quite possible). I've tried sending Plate Solver 2 .jpg files from Previews but it wants me to provide RA/DEC values to aid in solving which it would get automatically from FITS files.

OK, so not only do you need FITS files, but the FITS files must have RA/DEC information in the header. Where does this location data come from? Unless the user has a Premium license and then an active connection to a mount, there is no source for a location.

BYE/BYN already provides JPG files to AstroTortilla which has the mount connection and is able to use the JPG file to solve the mount's pointing position.