Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Camera Not Found

afriedmansb@hotmail.com

Question

I tried to connect my D5100 using an OEM cable and kept getting a connection error.  So I ordered a cable and DSUSB from Shoestring Astronomy.  Same result:

22:18:47  Licensed to afriedmansb@hotmail.com
22:19:25  Attempting to connect camera...
22:19:26  Nikon2015/D5100 drivers initialized.
22:19:33  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)
22:23:09  Attempting to connect camera...
22:23:09  Nikon2015/D5100 drivers initialized.
22:23:16  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)
22:24:06  Attempting to connect camera...
22:24:06  Nikon2015/D5100 drivers initialized.
22:24:14  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)

I have only 4 days left on my trial and I haven't connected once.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

5 answers to this question

To get full functionality with BYN and the D5100 you need to run two separate cables, in parallel, between the camera and the PC. The DSUSB cable runs from the remote shutter jack on the camera to a USB port on the PC it is used only to control the shutter for BULB exposures. You also need a regular USB cable running from the USB port (I believe that Nikon calls it the A/V port) on the camera to a different USB port at the PC.  The regular USB cable is used for connecting, changing settings, initiating non-BULB exposures, downloading images, etc. Have you been using both cables? Without the regular USB cable you cannot connect the camera to BYN.

When connected with the regular USB cable and the camera powered on, you should see the camera listed in the Windows Device Manager. If Windows does not recognize the camera, then BYN will not be able to connect with it.

Again, the two cables (you called them the OEM cable and the DSUSB) cable perform two different functions. The OEM cable does not use a COM port. The DSUSB cable does not create a "connection" with a COM port via the DSUSB cable until you start a BULB image. You simply need both cables to be always connected in parallel.