Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D5500 connection issues

hunter61073

Question

OK, This is my third cable, and I still cannot get my Nikon D5500 to connect to BYN, or even be recognized by my computer. What is the problem here? I have done everything I can think of short of sending my camera in to Nikon to be fixed. I'm on a fixed income, and this really stinks. I paid for BYN....and cannot even use it. 

I have a windows 10 laptop....actually 2 of them. One is a solid state drive, the other is standard. (Acer Aspire M..upgraded to 12gb ram, and an HP Elitebook 840 G3.) I also have an older Dell all in one running windows 7 home...None work. I figure there HAS to be an issue with my camera....as it will not even let me update the firmware.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22 answers to this question

Camera has warranty still.. I have until JULY to repair it. The camera is in the hands of the repair techs already. Apparently it is a PCB board that is bad... but we shall see. I have my doubts.... and they are saying the part will be in on the 22nd, and repaired and returned to me promptly. 

All I know is...regardless if they fix the issue or not, I was able to get a claim opened that it does not work properly. I have owned this camera for almost 3 years, and NEVER even tried to use the usb. I always used the wifi connection.

7 hours ago, hunter61073 said:

Camera has warranty still.. I have until JULY to repair it. The camera is in the hands of the repair techs already. Apparently it is a PCB board that is bad... but we shall see. I have my doubts.... and they are saying the part will be in on the 22nd, and repaired and returned to me promptly. 

All I know is...regardless if they fix the issue or not, I was able to get a claim opened that it does not work properly. I have owned this camera for almost 3 years, and NEVER even tried to use the usb. I always used the wifi connection.

If this is a PCB board issue this is the first I've heard for a Nikon camera.  Back in the day the Canon 60D and 60Da were notorious for failing PCB board... but I haven't seen in a while now.

Good luck.

Yes...it seemed rare to me also. They will have the part today...and fix n return. I HOPE AND PRAY all goes well. I plan on calling tomorrow am to check on progress...and fully expect a runaround saying it did not fix it and it was sent off to nikon. Thats just my luck!

2 hours ago, astroman133 said:

Are doghouse and hunter61073 the same person? Why have different IDs?  Why use both?

Good catch... they have the same IP.

Why 2 accounts?  This may get confusing with your activation key.

Doghouse is my account for BYN.

WhyI have 2 accounts is because I logged online to post here on phone...then went to laptop...and signed up again...or vice versa. 

Either way...when all is done with I know what to log on to for my pro account. I think frustration played a major part in all of it.

I found out today...the TOGO PCB board is bad...and it was SUPPOSED to be in today. They called and said they will not get it now until JUNE 15TH!!!!!

I'm ticked off. That is par for the course though. At least its a free repair...so I should just chill out and pray I get it back before the end of July. Stupid backorder parts...

Anyone else have this part go bad???

I have 3 laptops...two in the house and one out in my dome. The program is only on my dome laptop. My phone works fine with Doghouse....not sure why laptop inside has hunter61073....I use that name for my astronomy forums name. I best go delete that and sign in proper...

There we go.... you will never see the hunter61073 again. I just got rid of it...

Thanks for all the support here guys. I just hope that I do not have any more issues with my camera. I treated that thing as it was gold. I am happy it has been mostly cloudy the entire time it has been gone though, lol. I am sure those days will not last. But I DO have my ZWO125 to really get to know better, instead of just a guide camera. BUT I CANT GUIDE NOW! LOL... ;<P

If Windows does not recognize the camera and load the kernel-level plug and play driver then there is no way that BYN will be able to connect to the camera. So before running BYN, plug the cable into both the camera and the PC and power the camera on. Make sure that the camera is displayed in the Windows Device Manager's list of active devices before attempting to connect with BYN.

Presumably you are using a short new (or known good) USB data cable to connect the camera directly to the PC. You also need to look at the connection modes that are supported by the camera. Some cameras use multiple protocols. For example, one protocol for image download and another protocol for tethering (remote shooting). Read the camera manual with regard to options for connecting to a computer.

It is possible that the camera is malfunctioning. A local camera shop may be able to help you confirm that the camera is functioning correctly, or not.

Take a knife and nudge the male end of connection on the camera, don't force it, it will only need a slight nudge. Plug in mini usb and connect again. My D5200 had similar issues until i did this. The mini usb is probably not making a proper connection to the camera.

Regards

Craig

I took it to the local camera sales store. Let me emphasize SALES. As they have no clue on fixing a camera. 

I did have my cables checked with another d5500...and they worked. 

So... There has to be an issue with either the camera...or the usb port itself. We looked at it close with magnifier (usb port connectors)...and all looked good. Im not happy...but I either will need to send the camera in to nikon...(cost??) Or just bite the bullet and buy a d5600. Either way...my camera works great, I love it...but I cannot update nor connect it to a computer unless it is via wifi. So...I will just continue to use digicam until I figure it out...if I do.

Ok...BYN....LISTEN UP....MAKE THIS PROGRAM RUN ON WIFI!!!! lol 

I managed to get the camera firmware updated. So....all good there. I was hoping that that would solve my issue...but no.

This may not be a pcb issue...it could be a motherboard issue. Now...the question is...to change out the motherboard...or think of another idea. 

Looking for ideas here peeps.

So doghouse appears to have hijacked hunter61073's thread. doghouse, please create a new thread and tell us about your issue, including which camera model, which version of BYN, and how to create your issue. Also tell us what you have done to troubleshoot your issue. It is sooo much simpler to follow one user and one issue per thread.

I will say that making BYN control the camera over WiFi is not possible because WiFi is not supported by the Nikon SDK. In any case the wired connection is way faster than WiFi.

if doghouse and hunter61073 are the same user, then you should always post under the account that was used to get your BYN license. For a home user of BYE or BYN there is no need to have more than one account. In fact, having more than one account could be viewed by the authors with some suspicion.

Thanks!

NO... both are me... ones a laptop, the other is my phone...lol. AND... I apologize for the confusion. I'm not sure why it has two different names. I think it is because I purchased the BYN a bit back, then forgot my account info....then going from my phone to laptop....well, you kinda get my jist here? ANYWAYS... All of the above has happened, and I am confused. I, like I think I said... tried my HDMI port also, and had no response at the camera store also. So therefore, I am wondering if the motherboard is not the issue. I have gone through all of my settings...(I know the camera well) and cannot for the life of me understand why its doing this.

I DID. It does not work. EMPTY SD card, and wifi automatically is off when camera is turned on. You have to manually turn it on to use it, and my data cable DOES work with another D5500 that was at the camera store....along with BOTH of my laptops mind you...

Archived