Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYE with Canon 6DMkII and mirror lock-up

Question

I am using BYE with a Canon 6D Mk II and generally it seems to work fine (tested in Imaging only so far), but the mirror lock-up delay feature of BYE does not appear to work.  BYE just ignores the delay value that is set.  Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work with this camera body?  If I actually turn MLU ON in the camera's settings, then BYE does not work.  It starts to capture images (ignoring the MLU delay parameter), but the circular progress bar goes round and round without ever stoping and downloading the image.  I have to turn the camera off to get out of the loop.

Thank you,

Richard

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Alexey, You should create a post in the Feature Suggestion Box forum to suggest a change in behavior to preserve the values in a capture plan row when the exposure count is set to 0. Your use cas

Any and every issue with WiFi Connection will be an issue between the Camera and Windows.  Neither the Canon SDK nor BYE directly supports WiFi.  Guylain might be able to beef-up the Camera Disconnect

Finished.  Yes, It works properly now. 100%! Well done!  Even if I set ML in camera menu I see Mirror is On in in the new BYE control. Just one thing.. I tried different combination of

13 minutes ago, Alexey Popov said:

What is really inconvenient in the last version - it resets all settings in capture plan line when you set 0 in Exposures column. The problem is that sometimes you do it accidentally, just entering a new quantity. It happens for a few seconds buts its enough. For instance, I have 100 shots and I starting edit this value. As soon as I delete 1 - the line has been reset. You can say that its not so dangerous.. But first of all, I have to remember about that all time.. Second, really bad - in the night, in a hurry, you can miss this reset, start shooting and will be very unset later... I lost a few hours already...

I believe this was always like this, set to 0 does a reset... but I'm not 100% sure.

Alexey,

You should create a post in the Feature Suggestion Box forum to suggest a change in behavior to preserve the values in a capture plan row when the exposure count is set to 0. Your use case seems valid to me. I have the Premium license and always save my capture plan after a change as a work around for exactly that situation.

25 minutes ago, astroman133 said:

I am looking at the SDK version 3.6.1 and can find no property that allows reading or setting the Mirror Lock property. I read an old article that said that MLU could be accessed via a Custom Function call, but this is not documented for the 6D Mk II. I am at a loss.

Yep, welcome to my world... and I know you've been there as a developer too :)

The SDK documentation is sparse and it leaves a lot to discover by trial and error.... mostly errors :(

3 hours ago, Alexey Popov said:

I found one more problem only, while camera was connected through Wi-Fi with timeout during image downloading. Again, main problem that this operation can`t be processed automatically - it was not possible to abort it. If it happens during automatic shooting without me in front of laptop - I lost some hours again. This problem prevents of using Wi-Fi, too bad... See above, there are logs attached to my post. 

Any and every issue with WiFi Connection will be an issue between the Camera and Windows.  Neither the Canon SDK nor BYE directly supports WiFi.  Guylain might be able to beef-up the Camera Disconnect Handling, but that is also likely an SDK function.

WiFi connections in "Uncontrolled Environments" such as most Outdoor AP Imaging is performed subjects the Connection to variances in:

• Interference - everything from local Cell or Radio Towers or other WiFi Devices to Static in Admosphere
  • Antenna Orientation - As the Mount Tracks through Sky and as it Slews to new Target, the Orientation of the Antenna in the Camera changes and as do external metal elements of Mount/Tripod and Cabling/Wires.
  • Voltage - Battery Consumption through an Imaging Session means that Source Voltage will Drop (and no User Documentation details whether WiFi is "deprioritized" vs Sensor and DIGIC Processors and Storage and...)

You made no mention of the Distance between your AP Rig (DSLR) and your Laptop - could it have changed or be a source of WiFi Signal Attenuation??

1 hour ago, s3igell said:

Any and every issue with WiFi Connection will be an issue between the Camera and Windows.  Neither the Canon SDK nor BYE directly supports WiFi.  Guylain might be able to beef-up the Camera Disconnect Handling, but that is also likely an SDK function.

I understand. But the problem is that BYE did not stop operation after timeout and does not respond to abort function. Or respond but with a really huge delay. This is a problem. 

1 hour ago, s3igell said:

You made no mention of the Distance between your AP Rig (DSLR) and your Laptop - could it have changed or be a source of WiFi Signal Attenuation??

The distance is less then 2 meters but with a concrete wall in between.

The other wi-fi networks - can be, its a crowd around.. Some times I see how wi-fi connection on my laptop drops down. I guess it can be a main reason. 

Power... I use power supply instead of battery, but its not original. Can be.. And I saw same behavior on battery today during daily experiments. 

44 minutes ago, Alexey Popov said:

I understand. But the problem is that BYE did not stop operation after timeout and does not respond to abort function. Or respond but with a really huge delay. This is a problem. 

This behavior could be totally in the SDK and there may be little that Guylain can do.

That said, if the log files show the call that is hanging, there are ways to ensure that the call is performed on an abortable worker thread. However that can get messy if the SDK does not recover when the thread is aborted. It may require a restart of BYE, or at least a forced disconnect/re-connect to the camera. Coding a solution like that can be tricky if the exact behavior is not possible to reliably cause to occur during testing.

3 minutes ago, astroman133 said:

This behavior could be totally in the SDK and there may be little that Guylain can do.

That said, if the log files show the call that is hanging, there are ways to ensure that the call is performed on an abortable worker thread. However that can get messy if the SDK does not recover when the thread is aborted. It may require a restart of BYE, or at least a forced disconnect/re-connect to the camera. Coding a solution like that can be tricky if the exact behavior is not possible to reliably cause to occur during testing.

Could be or it does? Does it show hanging in logs or not? 

But I understand what you me, I thought about it. It`s clear. 

I am not an expert at interpreting the log files. I'm just a long time user trying to help solve a problem.

That said what I think that I am seeing  in one of the log files that you posted is that you are taking a 15 second image with a 2 second mirror lock delay and after approximately 2 minutes the camera shuts down the connection. It does not seem that the log file terminated normally. This could be when you killed BYE. Guylain may see something different.

The log file that I looked at is logfile-20180310-12h29m04s968-4704-2018-03-10.txt

As I said earlier, ML is not supported of this model.  Hanging as a result is irrelevant since it does not work... so you need to turn it off.

Now, if it hangs with ML turned off then that is another story.  Is this what is happening?  I'm a bit confused because you have shifted focus on WIFI at one point in this thread :(

17 hours ago, admin said:

Now, if it hangs with ML turned off then that is another story.  Is this what is happening?

No, it does not. With Mirror lock switched off it simply skips mirror lock delay. 

17 hours ago, admin said:

I'm a bit confused because you have shifted focus on WIFI at one point in this thread :(

I`m sorry, I know. To many questions in one thread. 

The fact that BYE hangs when in-camera ML is enabled is not surprising since the camera is waiting for a second shutter press that BYE does not know to provide.

All this would be a non-issue if Canon provided access to the Mirror lock property in the camera from the SDK. Then BYE could enable ML if the anti-vibration time was a positive number. BYE could also know to provide the second shutter press, with a delay equal to the anti-vibration time between the 2 shutter presses. Maybe someone from Canon will read this.

1 hour ago, admin said:

I've made a small adjustment trying to access the ML property for the 6DMkII and it might work.  No promises but it's worth a try to see if it works,

Finished. 

Yes, It works properly now. 100%! Well done! 
Even if I set ML in camera menu I see Mirror is On in in the new BYE control.

Just one thing.. I tried different combination of Virtual ML and camera Ml and see no difference, looks like both work properly or you use one way only every time. But finally - it works! 
Thank you! 

11 minutes ago, Alexey Popov said:

Finished. 

Yes, It works properly now. 100%! Well done! 
Even if I set ML in camera menu I see Mirror is On in in the new BYE control.

Just one thing.. I tried different combination of Virtual ML and camera Ml and see no difference, looks like both work properly or you use one way only every time. But finally - it works! 
Thank you! 

Okay, this will be in the next release :)

BTW, there is a difference with Virtual ML and in-camera ML.  The virtual ml uses live view mirror up function and this will activate extra electronic components in the camera which will generate more heat over time.  Avoid it as much as you can in favor of using th native in-camera mirror lock.

Regards,

2 minutes ago, admin said:

BTW, there is a difference with Virtual ML and in-camera ML.  The virtual ml uses live view mirror up function and this will activate extra electronic components in the camera which will generate more heat over time.  Avoid it as much as you can in favor of using th native in-camera mirror lock.

Thank you! I`ll do so! :)