Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Planning ahead

Heno

Question

Not sure how to word this to be understood, but I'll give it a go.

1. I would like to be able to create a (seasonal) multiple target plan including all the settings and frame types for each target, not a separate file for each target as today. The file could be loaded as a default file where the file name was specified in the default settings. The "target name" text box would be replaced by a drop down box/list which contained all the targets specified in the target list file. I would the create the targets in the target file list in the order I intended to shoot them. A (multiple) target file could also be loaded using Load as today.

2. Move the frame type specification (L, D, F,) to the front of exposure list below so that  all types of exposures can be specified in the same file and for each target. Today I need to create one file for each frame type. (Bias files are not that important as everybody shoot these separately anyway I think).

3. I find it very inconvenient that not all ISO settings are included unless my camera is connected. This means that I have to edit every target file created with my camera disconnected. (200 is missing).

4. I would have liked a Plan button opening a separate Planning window (pop-up?) for creating a season target plan where I could copy whole targets, settings, frame types etc. without having to select or type everything for each target. Of course, removing targets from the list should also be possible. An alternative would be the possibility to create the target list in a spreadsheet. But I like the first option better.

I'm probably asking a lot, but I really think this would improve the program overall.

Clear skies

Helge

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 answers to this question

21 hours ago, admin said:

Good lists you have there.  #3 is already there.  All you need to do is to load a plan that was previously saved when the camera was connected and you'll have all the settings available in preview mode.

Regards,

Ok, thanks for that info. I did not know that. I'll keep that in mind.

Clear skies.

Helge

On 10/21/2017 at 5:15 AM, Heno said:

1. I would like to be able to create a (seasonal) multiple target plan including all the settings and frame types for each target, not a separate file for each target as today. The file could be loaded as a default file where the file name was specified in the default settings. The "target name" text box would be replaced by a drop down box/list which contained all the targets specified in the target list file. I would the create the targets in the target file list in the order I intended to shoot them. A (multiple) target file could also be loaded using Load as today.

Out of curiosity:

What changes for your "BYE/BYN Image Plan" from one Target to another??  Other than the Target Coordinates (which BYE/BYN in no way records), I mean??

Most of us determine our Exposure Settings based upon either our Equipment, or the Current Seeing Conditions.  Neither of these is variant-per-target in any way that one can plan in advance.

Perhaps you are thinking more of a Target List in terms of a Planetarium App - which BYE/BYN never pretends to be...

Assuming a multiple target list is possible to create (in one file)  it would contain the target, light settings, dark settings, flat settings for each target (and whatever else). There may be several combinations of ISO values and exposure lenghts. Once I have created Target1 with all its requirements, I want to be able to copy all of this to the next target with one or a few clicks (a right click -> Copy target). Then modify these settings if required, at least the target name would change. 
I don't know what settings  people use, but I tend to use different settings for galaxies, nebulas  etc. and also consider their dynamic range. After having created one of each the modifications should be very few copying from target to target.

Does this make it any clearer?

Currently, a capture plan can only have a single target and a single frame type.

I am with s3igell, I use the same capture plan from target to target. My ISO is constant and my exposure is the longest that I can get away with. Lights and darks use the same exposure and ISO. I use the same plan for lights and darks, only changing the Frame Type. I use an artificial light source for flats and have a special capture plan just for flats.

So for DSO's I have one capture plan for lights and reuse it for darks. I have a separate capture plan for flats. There are some exceptions like M42 and the core of M31 where I may shoot shorter exposures to blend in during post processing.

Archived