Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

JMR006

JMR006

Question

Downloaded trial Backyard EOS.  Running under Windows 7.  Attempted to connect my Canon 5D original through the digital port/UCB.  Get connected but do not see anything in Camera information center other than White, Quality Image_unknown, and Battery.  Shouldn't I be seeing more information?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 answers to this question

Please report the version of BYE that you are using. This will help someone who reads this thread in the future. It will also help if the title of your future posts is about the issue that you are writing about, rather than your username.

Can you provide a screen shot?

With BYE 3.1.14 and my T5i connected and in Manual mode, I see the Tv value, ISO setting, the shooting mode, the camera's white balance, the fact that mirror lock is off in the camera, the in-camera image quality, and the battery status. While an image is being processed, the queue value goes to 1 and after the image has been displayed, I see the sensor temperature. This is how the Camera Information Center has always appeared for me.

Noticed that communication function was set to print/ptp. Changed to PC connect.  Went to device and printers under windows and see Canon digital camera has a problem: 

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45).   Did an automatic search for driver software:

image.png.95df64e1b46f788bf214c101e7ec13aa.png

Do you happen to know what particular Canon driver BYE needs?

Looks like EOS Utility is not there (or EOS Capture like is was called back in the days).

Do you still have the disk that came with it?  If yes you should install EOS Utility (or EOS Capture).  This will install all the necessary drivers.

OK, now it appears that Ron Hillstromb's comment was right on the mark.

You are not able to connect BYE with your camera. Several people who try to use the old DIGIC II cameras, like your 5D, with BYE discover that Canon dropped support for them. This means that they have never released new drivers for them.

So, as the BYE camera support grid indicates, your version of Windows 7 MUST be the 32-bit version of Windows. If your Win 7 is 64-bit then you are totally out of luck as far as connecting BYE to your 5D. If your Win 7 is 32-bit then you may be able to install the 32-bit Windows XP driver and be OK.

However, as Guylain has said above it is getting harder to provide support for those old cameras. My advice is to spring for a new camera. You will get all the advantages that the new technology offers and it will work with BYE regardless of whether Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit.

The Canon web site automatically detects your Windows version and shows software for that version. Change the O/S version to "Windows XP" to see EOS Utility 2.5.1 listed. This may install the correct driver for you.

Archived