Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Connection Issues

Bullet

Question

I just purchased the Premium version for use with my EOS Digital Rebel XT. The software is  installed on my Sony VIAO laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. In preparation for installation of this software I did a format of the drive and a clean install of the MS operating system. I have NONE of the normal Canon software installed as I felt that it might interfere with the new software. If I have my cameras Menu set to communicate via PC Connection it refuses to connect to the software in any of the three driver choices listed. If I switch the communication mode to Print/PTP it connects successfully but will not function. The camera control window flashes "Busy" where the Shutter Speed normally is displayed. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. P.S. This old tank of a laptop is dedicated for use with my Celestron SCT at the prime focus. In attempting to get the Canon software to run I have tried XP SP-3 32 bit, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and Ultimate 32 bit, as well as in infamous Windows 10 Pro 32 bit, with no success. Probably a "newbie" induced error so thanks in advance for your patience and assistance.

Frustrated,   Rick

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Bullet said:

... I did a format of the drive and a clean install of the MS operating system. I have NONE of the normal Canon software installed ...

You will NEED to Install the Software from the Canon CD (at least the Drivers and EOS UTILITY if not also the Canon Image Processing Apps), as BYE requires the complete Drivers not just the simple PTP Connector.

You will want to use EOS UTILITY as a Troubleshooting Tool, especially as the setup of older Cameras such as your 350D/XT can be tricky in that BYE requires a Serial Cable Shutter Connection in addition to the USB Cable Connection in order to perform BULB Exposures (greater than 30 sec) per the Backyard Supported Camera Tab. (Make sure that you set EOS UTILITY to NOT Automatically Start when the Camera is Connected - you will need it to be completely Terminated before starting BYE as only one App at a Time can use the Connection to the DSLR.)

As far as I know, the Canon software does not interfere with BYE, EXCEPT if the EOS Utility is installed AND connected with the camera. This is because only one SDK-based app can be connected at a time. In fact, it is possible that installing the EOS Utility may install some pre-requisite software AND be helpful as a troubleshooting aid.

The only "driver choice" that is applicable for the XT is the Canon210 option. The XT is not supported in the newer options, because Canon subsequently discontinued support for that model.

After you wiped your laptop and re-installed Windows 7, did you let Windows Update bring it up to date?

The Canon SDK will not communicate with the camera when it is in Print/PTP mode.

Does Windows recognize the camera when first plugged in and powered on? It should be displayed as a recognized device in the Windows Device Manager. If not BYE will not be able to connect. You may be able to download the low-level driver from Canon (you may need to install the Windows XP version of the driver) or you may be able to get the driver from the CD that came with the camera by installing the EOS Utility

5 hours ago, s3igell said:

You will NEED to Install the Software from the Canon CD (at least the Drivers and EOS UTILITY if not also the Canon Image Processing Apps), as BYE requires the complete Drivers not just the simple PTP Connector.

You will want to use EOS UTILITY as a Troubleshooting Tool, especially as the setup of older Cameras such as your 350D/XT can be tricky in that BYE requires a Serial Cable Shutter Connection in addition to the USB Cable Connection in order to perform BULB Exposures (greater than 30 sec) per the Backyard Supported Camera Tab. (Make sure that you set EOS UTILITY to NOT Automatically Start when the Camera is Connected - you will need it to be completely Terminated before starting BYE as only one App at a Time can use the Connection to the DSLR.)

4 hours ago, astroman133 said:

As far as I know, the Canon software does not interfere with BYE, EXCEPT if the EOS Utility is installed AND connected with the camera. This is because only one SDK-based app can be connected at a time. In fact, it is possible that installing the EOS Utility may install some pre-requisite software AND be helpful as a troubleshooting aid.

The only "driver choice" that is applicable for the XT is the Canon210 option. The XT is not supported in the newer options, because Canon subsequently discontinued support for that model.

After you wiped your laptop and re-installed Windows 7, did you let Windows Update bring it up to date?

The Canon SDK will not communicate with the camera when it is in Print/PTP mode.

Does Windows recognize the camera when first plugged in and powered on? It should be displayed as a recognized device in the Windows Device Manager. If not BYE will not be able to connect. You may be able to download the low-level driver from Canon (you may need to install the Windows XP version of the driver) or you may be able to get the driver from the CD that came with the camera by installing the EOS Utility

I have completed all of the windows updates including SP1. Installed all of the Canon software and updates up to Vista. The EOS utility has all of the selections "greyed out" and not selectable. I see the camera in the Device Manager but it is banged out and shows not installed. I copied the WIA drivers from the original disc and tried to update the driver by accessing this file with no success. If I understand the Canon EOS utility, if it connected to begin with I wouldn't be having the issue, I would have access to the Camera Window and Remote Shooting but they are all greyed out when the utility is opened. I tried another new USB cord but the original one I used worked for the last four years on this camera just fine. I also tried a different USB port without success. 

I have completed all of the windows updates including SP1. Installed all of the Canon software and updates up to Vista. The EOS utility has all of the selections "greyed out" and not selectable. I see the camera in the Device Manager but it is banged out and shows not installed. I copied the WIA drivers from the original disc and tried to update the driver by accessing this file with no success. If I understand the Canon EOS utility, if it connected to begin with I wouldn't be having the issue, I would have access to the Camera Window and Remote Shooting but they are all greyed out when the utility is opened. I tried another new USB cord but the original one I used worked for the last four years on this camera just fine. I also tried a different USB port without success. 

I uninstalled the Utility as well as any drivers involved with the Camera with REVO and a deep scan to remove everything. I installed the original version that came with the camera, same window, still greyed out, still shows the Canon digital Camera as missing a driver. This is exactly the same issue I had upon upgrading to Windows 10 after full functionality in Windows 7. Why does the camera show as connected in Backyard EOS with the 210 driver? It says it's connected but the camera control window flashes busy and will not perform any functions. I don't know if it helps to troubleshoot my issue but the only time Canon, Windows, or Backyard EOS does ANYTHING, is when it is set to communicate Print\PTP instead of PC Connection.

You need to set the communication to PC, not PTP. 

The camera says BUSY because it is connected to a computer.

You need to figure out why EOS Utility will not work first.  Have you tried a camera factory reset?

OK, there is light at the end of the tunnel !!!!! After blowing out all of the existing drivers as well as everything to do with the EOS Utility, still no joy. Still trying anything to install a driver, any driver, that would at least allow windows to see the camera, I started to really scour the original install disc. Here's what worked, open the disc in a new window,navigate to WIA, then to the folder E3KR2_R, I read the read me and it stated that it would install the driver ver. 5.8. I ran set-up and WOW it actually installed the driver. With both eyes covered I snuck up on the Device Manager and lo and behold it installed the camera as EOS Kiss_N Rebel_XT350D. Dang near threw my back out doin' the Happy Dance! short celebration as I tried to start the camera in BYE, and alas it sat for 5 minutes and then error-ed out. As I am close to smashing both devices with a large sledge hammer I am giving up for today and will begin drinking heavily. This is a quest, I will get it to attach to BYE with anything short of Super Glue !

2 hours ago, admin said:

You need to set the communication to PC, not PTP. 

The camera says BUSY because it is connected to a computer.

You need to figure out why EOS Utility will not work first.  Have you tried a camera factory reset?

If the EOS Utility won't connect then neither will BYE! So far this is not a BYE issue.

Ok, the camera is detected by Windows and when I start BYE after showing connected, I still get an error message and have no imaging capability at all. I did a camera factory reset and can see the camera in both the Device Manager and Imaging Devices. I found plans for a serial connector from the 2.5mm plug connection and can put one together but is the serial connection necessary for any functionality? See log file attached.

logfile-[20170811-02h20m06s974]-[2104]-2017-08-11.txt

Bullet,

Are you also Rix001? You should be consistent about which account you use to post issues! Most people don't need more than 1 account!

You are connecting BYE to your EOS XT camera, so now the issue is not a "connection problem". It appears to be pilot error!

In the log file --> Make sure camera is set to MANUAL, turn dial to 'M'. So what is the position of the rotary dial on the camera? It appears to be not in M (manual) position! This dial is a mechanical switch and BYE cannot adjust it through software commands.

According to the BYE Supported Cameras chart, the XT camera can only shoot BULB exposures with the use of a compatible serial cable. This limitation betrays the age of the camera. For most DIGIC III and newer models, the serial cable is not necessary. For your camera this serial cable is required, in addition to the USB cable. So you will have 2 cables running in parallel between the camera and the PC in order to fully control the camera and shoot long exposures!!

In order to test imaging until you have a serial cable, you need to choose a shutter value (not a duration) that is not BULB. These Tv (timed value) exposures are initiated by BYE, but controlled by the camera. They will range from 30 seconds down to the shortest exposure supported by the camera. A shutter control (serial) cable is not needed for Tv exposures.

Of course, you can choose to make your own serial shutter control cable, or you can purchase a commercial cable from Shoestring Astronomy.

4 hours ago, Bullet said:

Ok, the camera is detected by Windows and when I start BYE after showing connected, I still get an error message and have no imaging capability at all. I did a camera factory reset and can see the camera in both the Device Manager and Imaging Devices. I found plans for a serial connector from the 2.5mm plug connection and can put one together but is the serial connection necessary for any functionality? See log file attached.

logfile-[20170811-02h20m06s974]-[2104]-2017-08-11.txt

They are a few things in there.  As astroman133 said, set the dial to M first and leave there.  

2017-08-11 02:23:35,765 [Main] ERROR - Make sure camera is set to MANUAL, turn dial to 'M'
2017-08-11 02:23:35,765 [Main] ERROR -    at BinaryRivers.Common.Model.CameraModelBase.SetDialManual()
   at BinaryRivers.Common.Model.CameraModelBase.SetDialBulb()
   at BinaryRivers.Common.Model.CameraModelBase.CameraPropertySetOnMessageRecieved(Object sender, MessageBusEventArgs`1 messageBusEventArgs)
2017-08-11 02:23:35,796 [Main] INFO  - Unable to set Iso, current setting is assumed!
2017-08-11 02:23:35,827 [Main] INFO  - CameraPropertyChangedArgs fired: Iso                  = 'Unknown'
2017-08-11 02:23:35,843 [Main] INFO  - CameraPropertyChangedArgs fired: AeMode               = 'Unknown'
2017-08-11 02:23:35,843 [Main] INFO  - CameraPropertyChangedArgs fired: Tv                   = ''
2017-08-11 02:23:35,843 [Main] INFO  - CameraPropertyChangedArgs fired: Av                   = ''

I see the TV values are empty.

1. turn off the camera.
  2. start BYE and delete the cache (Settings -> Delete Cache)
  3. Close BYE and start it again.
  4. Turn on the camera
  5. The TV values should be there now.

Try taking TV images only, not bulb.  Once you confirm this is working you'll need a serial cable to table BULB images.

Regards,

First, thanks for all the help and suggestions. All my equipment is old, probably due to the fact that I am old. I spent 48 years as an outside salesman/rep with territories ranging from Northern California, B.C from Prince George to Vancouver, Oregon, Washington, Montana, North & South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and Colorado. 100k miles per year and average 200 nights/year on the road = I wasn't home a lot ! My unexperienced passion has been astronomy and I have collected all of my stuff over the years unable to really use it. I'm retired now and while I have the time and what's left of my vision, I hope to use all this old stuff in the short time I have left. I would love to purchase a new camera but alas the old "I'm on a fixed budget" crap applies to me. I am about half way through the 2 hour You Tube video tutorial so I want to fast track my knowledge of the BYE software as soon as possible. I'll just try to maximize the use of the software as limited by my old camera. On the subject of the account duplication, I tried to buy the software as soon as I saw it but the account set up seemed to get in the way. I tried the Rix001 account and still could not connect to buy. I finally waited a while and set up an new account with a secondary email and I'll try to delete the other account if it will let me in. I'll try to keep good records and I can assist anybody that has the same issues I have.  Thanks again, it is appreciated!

Guylain, I followed your procedures and found the following. The only settings listed are BULB, AV-Flat, and PROGRAM. I set it to AV-Flat and adjusted the ISO to 400. Duration is grayed out. When I attempted an image I got the following error message;  ERROR EDS_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED: Eds SetProprtyDa. I could not read the rest of the error message. Here's another thing, I closed BYE and just started the camera, windows installed the driver and asked fr an AutoPlay setting. I set it to open with Digital Utility and shut the camera off and back on to see what happened. Windows saw the connected device but just sat there and did nothing for a while. Soon I got the message that the Utility was unable to connect to the program. In the discussion so far I understood that if the EOS Utility did not recognize the camera neither would BYE and yet it shows connected and initialized with the 210 drivers. I attached the log file if it helps, the other thing was the image I attempted said it would take 14 minutes??? When I shut the program down a message window popped up stating that BYE was imaging and did I really want to shut down? I installed the original EOS Utility off the original disc but maybe I need to update it as Windows 7 wasn't around when the camera and disc were produced? I understand and accept the limitations of my camera and I appreciate your patience and persistance.

logfile-[20170811-14h04m23s380]-[4052]-2017-08-11.txt

First. if the EOS Utility is connected to the camera then BYE will not be able to connect to the camera. If you have told Windows to automatically launch the EOS Utility when it recognizes the camera then you will need to disconnect the EOS Utility from the camera before trying to connect with BYE. Both programs cannot be connected to the camera at the same time!

Now, your list of speeds and probably ISOs is incomplete. In order to get BYE to re-populate those lists you must follow these steps....

1) Start BYE, but do not connect to the camera. If already connected, then disconnect BYE from the camera.

2) Go to BYE's Settings and then Advanced Settings.

3) Click on the Delete Cache Data button

4) Save the changes and shut down BYE.

5) Put the rotary dial on the camera into M (manual) mode and turn the camera on.

6) Start BYE and Connect to the camera.

7) The Shutter and ISO dropdown lists should now be fully populated.

This procedure has been given to several users via this forum. Guylain has said that he is planning on making changes to eliminate the issue but getting the current round of fixes in place before the eclipse has kept him busy.

If you want to shut BYE down when it is busy running a capture plan, it is best to do so in an orderly manner...Abort the capture plan, disconnect BYE from the camera, and finally shut BYE down.

I followed your instructions to the letter. I only tried to connect the camera to EOS Utility via AutoPlay just to see if it would connect, it will NOT connect. Somewhere along the line I was told that if the camera won't connect to the Utility it would not connect to BYE. I reset AutoPlay to "No Response. Note, I checked that the EOS Utility was not running by checking in Task Manager to be sure, the only Canon running was CALMAIN.exe shown as Canon Camera Access Library 8, maybe just for giggles I'll try again after End Tasking that Process

Please see the screen shots attached and log file. Note no change in either drop down, NO Tv values are listed, just BULB AV-FLAT and PROGRAM. selecting anything changes nothing, still the same error. When I attempt an orderly shut down I selected ABORT, Disconnected the Camera, it listed 22 minutes 18 seconds and a count down clock commenced upper right. The clock never counted down so after 30 minutes I just closed BYE. Please note that even when BYE shows it's connected it shows no camera info but the battery state. Not that it means anything but I tried to connect the camera with the newer drivers and it installed and listed it as connected also.

logfile-[20170811-22h15m13s238]-[2940]-2017-08-11.txt

Screen Shot02 Canon Connected.JPG

Because BYE and the EOS Utility both use the Canon SDK, If one connects then, almost always, they both will, or if the EOS Utility doesn't connect neither will BYE. I am baffled by your symptoms.

When the EOS Utility fails to connect, does it give any error message/reason?

Hopefully, Guylain can see something in the log file.

Perhaps it is time to drop support for the DIGIC II cameras from BYE.

Sorry that I was unable to help. Thanks for your patience.

Hi, you guys have tried everything and given me good suggestions of things to try. My daughter is coming over this weekend and bringing her newer Canon DSLR, I don't know what model it is but I'm betting it works with BYE just fine. At least it will give me a chance to eliminate the computer and software from the issue. Until them I'm going to try to get the EOS Utility to connect. I spoke to Canon support before this all started and they seemed totally aware that my version wouldn't function anymore other than a DSLR. HERE's what I don' understand, if EOS Utility will connect then I will have functionality to remote shoot, camera window, etc. the camera would function as it did in the versions of Windows prior to the Windows 10 mess. Canon just said over and over that the only computer function with my camera would be to pull images manually from the memory card. I fear that it's the Apple business model mentality, do everything you can to destroy functionality with any of your old hardware to drive sales to your new hardware. It only works if you own the market place. Canon has more competition than Apple but I think they are the leader in their little world and would gladly spend more time and money making old product "go away" than making it work in each new computer environment. After all, they are in the business of selling cameras, P E R I O D. I'll report back with the outcome of my efforts and if Guylain has any other suggestions I would love to try them out. Maybe Santa Clause will bring me a shiny new camera in my stocking, dang I forgot for a minute, I am Santa Clause! LoL

Hello. This just gets stranger and stranger. Working on the premise that I first must get my camera to be recognized by EOS Utilty I started by ripping out everything to do with Canon with REVO Uninstaller and two registry scans. I rebooted and reinstalled and still no joy. I uninstalled EOS Utility, did a registry scan and reinstalled this time I thought I'd try installing it in windows Compatibility Mode for XP-SP3. Restarted and the camera was found and installed as EOS Kiss_N Rebel_XT350D, found in the DM. Started EOS Utility and it found the camera and allowed all of the previously unavailable Canon features, Camera Window, Remote Shooting, everything. I closed everything. rebooted, opened Task Manager to be sure nothing Canon was running, Opened BYE and cleared the cache, and started the camera. BYE would not accept any of the selections for the drivers. It errors out saying it can't find the camera, make sure it's on, make sure it's connected, etc. Next I got thinking where did that driver come from, was it a MS driver or a Canon driver, and who in their right mind names a driver EOS Kiss_N Rebel_XT350D !!!! Now I know that Kiss does not pertain to a smooch so I'm guessing that it's Keep It Simple Stupid, it's supplier is listed as Microsoft Compatibility Driver, Canon Industries. I will try my daughters Canon when she arrives and I'm guessing that it will function flawlessly - meaning the issue is with my camera.

Hey Bullet,

One thing to remember while "Ripping and Snorting" through Installs and Wipes:  BYE needs the "Real Canon Drivers" (not just the "minimal Device Recognition Mostly" Drivers which Windows supplies).  These Real Canon Drivers come from the CDs supplied by Canon with each Camera (or you can search through Canon Support for the equivalent Driver Installer Package to be downloaded and installed).  This will be a similar requirement for your Daughter's DSLR.

Another thing:  Microsoft tends to support "PTP Mode" for the Driver which they use to "Download Images from Camera".  That PTP Driver is Useless for BYE, as it doesn't support the Canon SDK required for BYE to control the various Camera Functions beyond File Download.  I don't know if PTP Mode was popular with the "Old DSLRs" (I have a 400D as my Backup's Backup, but it very rarely comes out of its case).

And a Comment:  I don't know that I'd ascribe any "Nefarious Scheme" to the Dwindling Support for the Oldest Canon DSLRs.  The 350D was Canon's 2nd-ever Entry-level DSLR, released in Early 2005.  (Even in Dog-Years, let-alone Technology-Years, that is "Forever".)  There have been 17 newer "Entry-level" Canon DSLR Models released since then.  More likely, "Exhaustion of Resources" is to blame...  That and the Issues of Microsoft Support for a Driver which is 4 OS's and 3 Driver Models ago...

"Coping Suggestions":  1) Acquire a Full-Function Intervalometer (I've had great success with the $25-35 NEEWER brand on Amazon) as a backup for BYE.  It will allow you to effectively approximate "one row at a time" BULB Capture Plans.  2) Keep your eyes out for a Garage Sale Canon 550D(T2i) or 600D(T3i).  These babies are really the Sweet Spot for AP Imaging with BYE - all Features Work and very few newer Camera Features "get in the way" of that Functionality.  And, for AP Imaging, it doesn't matter that the Camera has a few Scrapes or Dings.  It doesn't matter if the Kit Lens has been Lost/Broken.  As long as the USB Port and Shutter and Battery Compartment work, BYE will Get By...

Hi S3igell, Thanks for the suggestion on a camera upgrade, I was already looking into that solution. Here's my quandary, I knew going in that I had an old dog camera which is why I broke out an equally old dog laptop, formatted the drive, and installed the version of Vista that came with the laptop from MS. So I have a time capsule installation all with the appropriate vintage software (that worked perfectly when I bought them, and even when I upgraded through Windows 7). With the only thing that changed being the date, the camera is reduced to pulling images off the memory card. The EOS Utility, critical to BYE, will open but is not functional. BYE will see the camera and open with the 210 drivers but will not function. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this? Did I miss something? BYE is certainly not the culprit, leaving Windows and Canon as the only players with a dog in the hunt. To add insult to injury if I install the "Windows Compatibility Mode driver by Canon" diver, surprise - all of the normally installed software works just like it did in the day. BYE, in this state refuses to see the camera at all (says it's powered off or disconnected). I bought the 350D to get rid of using film anymore. Darkroom processing, Dodge & Burn, Gas Hypered film, all gladly went in the waste basket. My Canon 620/650 EOS SLR went in the can also. I'm just a normal consumer photographer and an occasional backyard (BYE please take no offense) astro photographer. I certainly don't have a back up camera for my back up camera, if I were at that level I'd have a new $3,000.00 camera body every year. I love everything about BYE, I watched the entire two hour plus, You Tube video, and yes I'm going to spend around $400 to get to use a $50 piece of software. Here's the reality I took a long while to realize, my scope is 30 years old and every couple of years I hacked a new thingy onto it. I have and Advanced Astro Master with digital setting circles, hand made cables, finder scopes, etc. etc. I am lucky that any of it works although the skies remain the same and still hold the same fascination for me. I probably won't be around for the 600D to go the way of the Dinosaurs then the whole lot can go in the trash. Too young for a museum, too old for anyone but me to enjoy.

Thank you to all for your concern and help, Clear Skies!

9 hours ago, Bullet said:

To add insult to injury if I install the "Windows Compatibility Mode driver by Canon" diver, surprise - all of the normally installed software works just like it did in the day. BYE, in this state refuses to see the camera at all (says it's powered off or disconnected).

Which software is included in "all the normal software"??  Does EOS Utility work??  Work such that it can cause Exposures and Display the result??  (This would be a BIG CLUE)

Normal Software = Everything on the disc that shipped with the camera. Picture Style Editor, Zoom Browser,  RAW Image Task, Camera Window,  Camera RAW codec,  EOS Utility, and  Photo-Stitch. 

NONE OF THE ABOVE WORK WITH THE ORIGINAL DRIVER. Under the original driver BYE will open and connect to the camera with the 210 driver. It just will not work with this driver. It will not image, it will not populate anything but Bulb, AV Platform, and Program, whatever they are other than bulb, I have no idea. BYE will not allow changeing the ISO speeds, nor will it image.

Install the compatibility driver EOS Kiss_N_REBEL_XT350D  WIA DRIVER, and all of the " normal software works, all of it including the EOS UTILITY. I close all of these programs especially EOS UTILITY, and BYE will not see the camera AT ALL, it says it's not connected or powered off. I am not a computer idiot, I beta tested for MS for years, and worked in their Hardware Support for three Xmas seasons. I have built, sold, and maintained more custom computers than I care to remember and built numerous websites. I don't write code, or program, and know just enough to get into trouble with a camera. With the compatibility driver I really have no room to complain with Canon. It works just like it did when I bought it, and that's all I asked of them. My problem stems from the fact I have a  12 year old piece of hardware (camera) that I bought eight years ago ( Canon didn't stop building them or marketing them in 2005) and it won't work in anything "current" when it's attached to a computer. I "get it" and accept it, I don't understand it, neither do I have to like it. Microsoft is one of the most predatory competitors I have ever seen, they never approach ANYTHING without a purpose, and that purpose is only to promote their profit ( as it should be ). I just shudder when they hand out candy because the real purpose is about to crack your head open. All you have to do is look at the latest candy storm, Windows 10, for free, right, why don't I believe them?

Archived