Jump to content

Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
PLEASE READ ==> If you get a StructureMap or EdsInitializeSDK() error please RE-INSTALL before posting in the forum <==

Question

Hi all -

This post announces the release of QPPA2 which is a program that helps you perform a quick and precise Polar Alignment.  It works in conjunction with BackyardEOS and BackyardNikon.  My apologies to our friends in the Southern Hemisphere, because, QPPA2 only works for those who can see Polaris.

With the help of my son, QPPA2 is now an all-in-one program that no longer requires the use of Excel.  It also automatically enters data into the program so that you no longer need to manually enter the star X,Y coordinates.

Polar alignment using QPPA2 should only take about 5 minutes.  Accuracy appears to be 1 arc min or less.

Two links are provided below.  The first link is to a YouTube video tutorial showing how to use QPPA2.  The second link is to the QPPA2 installation program which is located in DropBox.

The program is free for all to use.  Hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Please let me know if you have and questions/problems and I'll be glad to help if I can.

It might be necessary to copy and paste the links below into your browser.

YouTube Link:

 

QPPA2 Installation Program Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1za9jg1mwj1t9ax/AAAAmcw4ZYZgtVUh5D2rcV21a?dl=0

PS:  A big thanks to my son Mike who integrated his cursor program and my calculations together into one easy to use program.

Steve King

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 10/10/2017 at 7:47 PM, PsylumWayne said:

Question...

I use Stellarium to get the current coordinates of Polaris and HIP3182.  Which set is right, the "J2000" or "onDate"?

I would expect to use the, 'On Date' value for both stars which will change slightly every session.

For my own part I have tried using the QPPA2 software twice on one of my imaging mounts (Celestron CG-5 with SkyWatcher 102mm StarTravel refractor and Canon 700D DSLR yielding a 2.55 x 1.7 degree FOV) but without success. On both occasions one of the three snap shots taken of Polaris were out of frame. I am conscious of the limitations with the original CG-5 polar scope alignment process and also that PoleMaster operates differently but uses a 5 degree FOV  to do it's alignment making initial accuracy less critical. Can anything be done to enhance QPPA2 to use a wider FOV?

Best regards,
Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

I would expect to use the, 'On Date' value for both stars which will change slightly every session.

For my own part I have tried using the QPPA2 software twice on one of my imaging mounts (Celestron CG-5 with SkyWatcher 102mm StarTravel refractor and Canon 700D DSLR yielding a 2.55 x 1.7 degree FOV) but without success. On both occasions one of the three snap shots taken of Polaris were out of frame. I am conscious of the limitations with the original CG-5 polar scope alignment process and also that PoleMaster operates differently but uses a 5 degree FOV  to do it's alignment making initial accuracy less critical. Can anything be done to enhance QPPA2 to use a wider FOV?

Best regards,
Steve

Right. Yeah... I gave up on it. I don't even use BYE anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, PsylumWayne said:

Right. Yeah... I gave up on it. I don't even use BYE anymore.

Sorry to hear that. I'm just hoping the QPPA2 software might be tweek-able to still be useful for working on the BYEOS platform as I've found BYEOS to be a good imaging software for my needs.

Good luck with your future imaging however.

Best Regards,
Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Sorry to hear that. I'm just hoping the QPPA2 software might be tweek-able to still be useful for working on the BYEOS platform as I've found BYEOS to be a good imaging software for my needs.

Good luck with your future imaging however.

Best Regards,
Steve 

BYE is fantastic imaging software for sure. For my particular needs though, APT (Astrophotography Tool) wins out since I can select objects and slew to them right from APT. I never got QPPA2 to work. I gave up and started using the polar alignment tool in SharpCap. I'm thinking about grabbing a Polemaster though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes I've given up attempting using QPPA2 and instead swapped out my Celestron polar scope for the better SkyWatcher type which has given pleasing polar alignments enabling 12 minute exposures with my CG-5, 500 mm telescope and Canon 600D DSLR using PHD2 for guiding. I did consider a PoleMaster but the SkyWatcher polar scope gives sufficient alignment for my needs. Hope others might find QPPA2 to work for 'em though. I'm aware that Sharpcap is slowly developing an ASCOM connectivity for Canon camera's and that might end up being the one stop shop in the future. Interesting times.

Cheers,
Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi Steve!

I had the  opportunity to se the QPPA2 video and end up with EOS Backyard an QPPA2 and did an easy an succesfull PA. Did the process two times to verify and end up to be very happy with the result.

My complete recognition to you  developing and sharing QPPA2, great tool!

My best regards from a follower in Mexico and retired too!

Miguel 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies to offer your a better browsing experience. You can adjust your cookie settings. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies, our Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use