Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

EOS e BackYard Over LAN

Riccardo.Sordo

Question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 answers to this question

Riccardo,

BYE only controls the camera from the PC that the camera is connected to. I would assume that it would be a huge effort to split the functionality to convert it into a client/server app. Guylain has not ever indicated to members of this forum that this was in his development plans.

However, remote control of the entire PC is possible. This approach allows you to control all of your devices from another PC in another location.

The application that I use for remote control of my Observatory PC is called TeamViewer. TeamViewer allows remote control of a PC from either a home network or from the Internet. It is free for personal use.

My home network includes a wired ethernet connection to a wired and wireless access point in my observatory, and a desktop PC in my home office. The PC in my observatory controls all my devices (scope, focuser, imaging and guide cameras, ambient temperature monitor, electrical outlets, video camera). Then I make a TeamViewer connection to the Observatory PC from the home office desktop machine. Once TeamViewer is connected  I am able to see the screen of the Observatory PC and control all of the applications and devices as though I was sitting in front of the Observatory PC. I have used this method for 2 years and it works very well.

Since my observatory is only 100 ft behind my house, I do not need full remote operation. I still must go out to the observatory to open the roof, uncover the scope and start the PC. After that I can operate everything from the home office PC, via TeamViewer, until I need to shoot flat frames. Then I have to hang an EL panel on the end of my scope.

If you still feel that having a client/server version of BYE would be useful, you should create a post in the O'Telescope Feature Suggestion Box forum with details on what capabilities you would expect and how you would use this functionality.

Same as Rick, I control everything via LogmeIn instead of TeamViewer (both allow connections from the local LAN, or from wherever you are via Internet)

The PC at the observatory/scope is connected to my home LAN wired or wireless, I can choose

It works beautifully, but maybe my home LAN and/or Wifi are a little slow, because I found that the best performance I get is with a setup with no PC at the scope, and run an active USB2-cable from the PC at the house to an active USB2-hub at the scope (25 meters away from my house). To that hub, I connect the scope itself, the Canon camera and the guiding camera. Control software is BYE v3.1.8 Premium, PHD2 v2.6.2, and Starry Night Pro Plus v7.5.0.951

The Feathertouch focuser I installed on my Celestron EdgeHD, is controlled wirelessly by the Starizona MicroTouch software v2.9, independently (I guess it's radio-control, meaning one little box at the scope and another one via-USB2 at the PC), and then it is also recognized by BYE through the ASCOM driver.

I was thinking to upgrade to USB3, but since my camera and other equipment do not support USB3, I guess I won't find any speed-improvement (for image downloads)

I still have to go to the observatory to switch everything on and off, install dew caps if needed, align the scope with the sky (not polar-align, since it is permanently polar-aligned of course), cover the scope for darks or taking flats, etc.. But otherwise, everything is remote-controlled from my warm office room at the house.

Clear skies!

Joaquin

PS: I'm curious Rick, what do you use the video camera at the observatory/scope for? (security?, keeping track of scope movements?, allsky view?....)

Joaquin,

I have a PC at the scope that is connected to my home network with Cat 6 100GB cable. I do not use WiFi for anything. That way, communication between all my devices and the observatory laptop is at USB2 speed and communication between the laptop and desktop is at network speed.

Archived