Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYEOS Trial not making AVI

charlesolawrence

Question

I am trying out the BYEOS trial.  When in Planetary mode and making a series of JPGs to be made into an AVI, I get the JPGs in my folder, but no AVI ever shows up.  My platform has 6 cores, 12 threads @ 3.5 GHz and 32 GB memory, so I don't think that is a problem.  Does the trial support making an AVI.  I got a message to allow the system to make AVIs.  I responded in the affirmative.  A CLI window popped up but went away so fast I could not read it.

BTW, is there a way to set the number of CPUs, in my case 12, to use for processing?

Thanks.  Great product, BTW.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

25 answers to this question

Rick,

Your idea of running BYEOS as an administrator seems to have solved the issue!  I do see that the AVI gets written to the PLANETARY directory and not to the JPG directory as I was expecting.  The flashing 1 in the camera info area flashed longer than I had ever noticed before.

Thanks

guylain,

I think I'm going to try the VirtualDub thing again now that the AVI is getting written as expected.  Does it hurt to have both VirtualDub and ByteScout encoders resident at the same time?

Got the log files, but I don't see anything wrong at first glance.

Please delete the logfiles.  Start BYE, try again, and send me those new log files.   Send me a print screen of you planetary screen just before you press record.

Also, in which folder did you copy virtualdub?

Regards,

Got the log files again, thank you.

Okay, lets try to fix the root cause.  You did say that you got an message initially trying to make the avi.

Let's try this.

1) Close BYE

2) Remove the virtual dub files you have put the temp download folder.

3) Go to the BYE install folder and run BinaryRivers.AviEncoderProviders.Bytescout.UnRegister.exe.

4) Then run BinaryRivers.AviEncoderProviders.Bytescout.Register.exe 

5) Start BYE and try again.

Regards,

guylain,

No luck still.  I deleted all VirtualDub files from "temp download" directory.  I opened an admin command window in the install directory so I could see any messages written during the Unregister/Register processes.  Both ran with no error or messages printed out.  Retried planetary screen, got 100 JPGs in appropriate directory, but still no AVI.

Sigh, groan!  Thanks for your indulgence.

Charles

However, you do not need actual avi.  the jpgs are the same thing and you can use the individual jpgs to stack.  In fact the sum of all jpgs taks way less diskspace than a ignle avi file containing the sum of the same jpgs.

Charles,

It is possible that registering from an Admin command window is the problem. I would unregister from an Admin command window per Guylain's instructions. and then open a new command window but NOT an Admin command window to register the encoderl.

See if that makes any difference.

You could also try running BYE "As Administrator", as well.

i also don't know if the encoder has any pre-requisites.

Yes, I understand about the AVI just being a container for the JPGs and not really necessary.  It would be nice if it worked like it was supposed to though.  I am on W10 64bit if that matters, and downloaded the 32 bit VirtualDub as you said to do.

I tried to run VirtualDub standalone, but I could not see how to select more than 1 JPG.  It would not let me select more that one.  How is it supposed to work?

I unregistered the ByteScout encoder and put the two files in the TEMP\Download folder and tried it again.

Success!  Kudos to Rick for suggesting to run as administrator.  I should have known to try that anyway.

Since you say that VirtualDub is faster, I'll keep it set up that way.

Again, thanks for all the help from you and Rick.  It's getting late here in SE GA USA.  I'm sure I'll have more issues to come up during my evaluation of the product.

Rick,

Your idea of running BYEOS as an administrator seems to have solved the issue!  I do see that the AVI gets written to the PLANETARY directory and not to the JPG directory as I was expecting.  The flashing 1 in the camera info area flashed longer than I had ever noticed before.

Thanks

guylain,

I think I'm going to try the VirtualDub thing again now that the AVI is getting written as expected.  Does it hurt to have both VirtualDub and ByteScout encoders resident at the same time?

If virtual dub is found in the the temp download folder it has priority and will be used.

Rick,

Perhaps so, but I am not aware of it.  I login not as the administrator but as a power user with admin privileges and permissions.  I installed everything in this account.  Whatever it is, setting BYEOS to run As Administrator in its icon solved the issue for me.  Thanks.

I guess I was not real clear.  On W10 if you right click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner, there are two command prompt options that are in the popup menu.  One is a regular command prompt, and another is a command prompt that has administrator privileges.  That is what I meant.

That may be true, but remember the reason I started the thread was because the AVI never got created from when I first installed the trial BYEOS.  I installed it, and the subsequent encoder registration was automatic, from my own power user account, so all permissions/privileges should have been consistent.  Since it works now, I'm OK.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I installed it ... from my own power user account, so all permissions/privileges should have been consistent.

While BYE/BYN works perfectly in Windows10, we have unfortunately found many cases where the Win10 Upgrade has left the User with "twisted" User Account Privs.  Thus our common Response regarding "Run As Administrator" during the Debugging Efforts.

Archived