Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Image download timeout, process terminated after 124 seconds

blndarcher

Question

I've just started playing around with BYN and can't figure out why I would be getting this error.

1. Camera has T-Adaptor installed.

2.  DSUSB is plugged in and USB cable to the laptop(Laptop recognizes the camera).

3. Camera has bulb setting.

4. No visible error but I don't hear the shutter opening and closing

Thoughts? What am I doing wrong?

Laptop information:

Windows 10 64bit

Camera : Nikon D5100

logfile-20160318-22h58m47s345-3312-2016-03-24.txt

logfile-20160319-03h05m00s721-backgroundworker-8028-2016-03-24.txt

logfile-20160324-18h57m13s244-backgroundworker-8388-2016-03-24.txt

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

The shutter not opening is the issue.  You need to figure this out first.  You get a download image timeout because there is none to download, the shutter never fired.

Do you also have the camera supplied usb cable plugged in?  You need it as well as the DSUSB.

Did you select DSUSB in cable support in your capture plan?

Did you try test cable (in capture plan) to make sure your cable is working?

More testing found that the DSUSB to camera wasn't seating properly or consistently. After a little trial and error I managed to get it to work. This was WAY frustrating to say the least. I may have to find a different solution that doesn't require 2 cables from the camera.

Thanks!!!

More testing found that the DSUSB to camera wasn't seating properly or consistently. After a little trial and error I managed to get it to work. This was WAY frustrating to say the least. I may have to find a different solution that doesn't require 2 cables from the camera.

Unfortunately, many of the recent Nikon DSLRs (and almost ALL of the Older Ones) are designed such that the Bulb Exposures can ONLY be Triggered by the actual Shutter Button or the actual Remote Shutter Control Cable.  At the same time, these DSLRs require communication through a USB2 Cable in order to manage the other Settings and Actions of the Camera.

These are Design Decisions made by Nikon - not BackyardNIKON or other Software Authors.  So your "Different Solution" will likely need to involve a "Different Camera".

Archived