Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

400D image download

Shelster1973

Question

Quick one...

Have just acquired a 400D which I plan on doing a full spectrum conversion on, but have a quick question...

Have managed to get the camera connected with BYE and also use a USB cable to actuate the camera, but I don't seem to be able to download the images.  Does the 400D need a CF card installed before you can download or can it work without (am currently shooting without card in)

If it does work without, is there a setting I need to change to make it do this?  I do have 'Shoot W/O card' enabled

Am new to Canon, so please be gentle

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

On some model you need set the camera to allow taking pictures with a camera.  This is done using the camera menu.

Can you can images without BYE with no card?

If yes make sure you select "PC" in the save to dropdown. 

Keep us posted.  It is possible that the 400D does not fire the image ready for download and therefor not being able to download to PC.  I don;t have a lot of users with a 400D.

SaveTo.jpg

Whenever you report a problem or unexpected behavior with BYE, please report which version you are using. Also report whatever troubleshooting you have done, what operating system you are using, and the values of any settings that you believe to be relevant.

You can save images taken from either the Frame & Focus or Imaging screens, but there are differences. Since you did not say what screen you were using I will try to provide information about both of them.

In order to save "Snap images" from Frame and Focus you need to set the checkmark for the "Save Snap Images" option in the LiveView section of the Settings window.  The saved images will always be JPEGs.

In order to save images captured via the Imaging screen you need to ensure that the "Save To" location is either PC or PC+Camera.  As long as you are not saving to the camera you should not need a memory card in the camera. These images can be CR2, JPG, or TIF, depending on the image Quality setting and the "Create TIFF image file" setting on the Settings screen.

If you are using the imaging screen and you have the Save To location includes "PC", do you see the downloaded image and thumbnail displayed?

In both cases (F&F and Imaging) the following conditions must be met:

1) The BackyardTEMP folder must be on a local, always available, drive and that you have full security permissions to access the folder.

2) The Download folder must exist and you must have full security permissions to access the folder.

3) you must make sure that you have more than 10 GB of free space available on the drive that contains the Download folder that you specified on the Settings screen, or you must enable the "Skip Diskspace Check" setting on the Advanced Settings screen.

Those are the possibilities that immediately come to mind.

Many thanks for the very speedy replies.  Have added a few comments below.

Have tried what you suggested and still no joy.

I did get the camera used from eBay and sold as spares as would not save to CF card, but thought that would not be an issue as could save directly to PC with BYE.....seems I may be thwarted in my plan....but will persevere for now.

Whenever you report a problem or unexpected behavior with BYE, please report which version you are using. Also report whatever troubleshooting you have done, what operating system you are using, and the values of any settings that you believe to be relevant.

Using latest version of BYE, have not done that much on way of trouble shooting as am new to Canon so finding things out as I go along.  Am using W10

You can save images taken from either the Frame & Focus or Imaging screens, but there are differences. Since you did not say what screen you were using I will try to provide information about both of them.

In order to save "Snap images" from Frame and Focus you need to set the checkmark for the "Save Snap Images" option in the LiveView section of the Settings window.  The saved images will always be JPEGs.

In order to save images captured via the Imaging screen you need to ensure that the "Save To" location is either PC or PC+Camera.  As long as you are not saving to the camera you should not need a memory card in the camera. These images can be CR2, JPG, or TIF, depending on the image Quality setting and the "Create TIFF image file" setting on the Settings screen.

I have the save to location set as PC.  When ever I try and save image all I get is a rolling circle in top right with a 'Busy 1' inside it.  This goes on for 120 secs and then I get an 'Image Download Time Out' error message pop up

If you are using the imaging screen and you have the Save To location includes "PC", do you see the downloaded image and thumbnail displayed?

Do not get any of that...as above, nothing is making it from the camera to the PC, so get no thumbnails or anything

In both cases (F&F and Imaging) the following conditions must be met:

1) The BackyardTEMP folder must be on a local, always available, drive and that you have full security permissions to access the folder.

This is located on C drive, same as I have for my BYN install

2) The Download folder must exist and you must have full security permissions to access the folder.

This is as per question 1

3) you must make sure that you have more than 10 GB of free space available on the drive that contains the Download folder that you specified on the Settings screen, or you must enable the "Skip Diskspace Check" setting on the Advanced Settings screen.

Have acres of space on my HDD at present.

Those are the possibilities that immediately come to mind.

I have the save to location set as PC.  When ever I try and save image all I get is a rolling circle in top right with a 'Busy 1' inside it.  This goes on for 120 secs and then I get an 'Image Download Time Out' error message pop up.

This does indicate that the camera is not firing the image ready for download event.

Try with EOS Utility, does it download images?

Regards.

So you are using BYE 3.1.6?  Saying that you are using the "latest version" may be misleading to someone who reads your post at some point down the road when the latest version is not 3.1.6.

It kind of seems like a bum camera. It is about as useful as a paperweight if it will not save images to the memory card or download them to a tethered PC.

I think the camera is FUBAR.

Tried it with EOS Utility and the 1st time it worked and downloaded an image..second image downloaded but with no thumbnail.  Third try and nothing...it sat there fat dumb and happy.

When I turn off the camera it sits there with a large green circle and says recording images....and then does nothing.

i am going to get a cheap CF card and try and update the firmware on the camera as it is is still at version 1.0.0

Thanks for looking into this, but feel it may be a very lost cause.  Am not going to die in a ditch over it as camera only cost me £35.  Hopefully my bext purchase will be of more use.  Can use this as a test run for my full spectrum mod and then may even og as far as debayering it.....but will need several brave pill before that one

Archived