Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Cannot connect Nikon D5200

jakejake

Question

I cannot connect a Nikon D5200 to BackyardNIKON.

Tried with and without SD card.

Tried turning off/on.

Connect directly to my laptop, no hub.

I don't have problems connecting to the camera via Windows or from another vendor's application.

Logs are attached.

I didn't notice anything special in the logs.

Thanks,

Jake

logfile-20160214-20h17m18s196-12332-2016-02-14.txt

logfile-20160214-20h17m27s327-backgroundworker-9892-2016-02-14.txt

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 answers to this question

There can be several causes when BYN will not connect to the camera. You seem to have eliminated some of them.

I can see from the log file that you are running BYN 1.0.4 and Windows 7, so no problem with an old version of BYN or with a Windows 10 upgrade.

When you say "I don't have problems connecting to the camera via Windows or from another vendor's application.", what exactly do you mean?  Do you mean that you can download or display images from the camera's SD card? 

What vendor's application does work?

Not all applications use the same method for communicating with the camera.  Some like BYN use the Nikon SDK. Others use PTP (peer-to-peer) communications.  These two methods use different low-level drivers.  Did you install whatever drivers came with the camera? Is there a menu setting in the camera to switch between PTP and "normal" modes?

At least if some applications are able to connect you know that the USB connection is good.  You should also make sure that the SD memory card is either empty or removed before trying to connect because the SDK will not connect until it has indexed all the images on the card.  This can appear like a connection issue, but if you wait long enough BYN will eventually connect.

If the camera has built-in WiFi communications you need to be sure that this is disabled in the camera's menus.

Finally, you need to be sure that no other applications, including Windows Live Photo Gallery, are accessing the camera when you try to connect.

I have a D40, D90, D5100, D5200, and D7000 for my own testing.  The D5200 does connect here so it is probably a setting as Rick mentioned.

Did you Reboot?  This will/should reset the Nikon SDK drivers.

Feel free to mention the other vendor software package here, I do not mind.  In fact it will will help identify the issue as I know which mechanism other vendors are using to connect to the camera.

Regards,

Archived