Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D5300 doesn't connect

kbthomas59

Question

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two new SDK-related files received from Guylain for testing. 

Connecting to my 5300 with firmware update very consistently and all functions I can test in daylight working well.  If anything, the connection appears more stable than it was previously.

Notified Guylain who will now work on the patch release.

Thanks for your efforts Guylain.....

Chris

Just tried out my D5300 on my new HP laptop with Backyard Nikon.  At first the camera wouldn't connect until I removed the memory card from the camera.  Backyard then connected each time I tried, even with a lengthy USB cable, and I took a few test shots.  Great thinks I.... just reformat the card and I am in business.  Reformatted the card and nothing has worked since... Tried two different cards and no card, several different cables, rebooted several times, cycled the camera multiple times and repeatedly checked camera config, removed and reinstalled Backyard all to no avail......  Laptop has no problems recognising the camera when attached.

Any thoughts amongst the more expert people out there?

To finally compound the problem I eventually updated the camera firmware before seeing the posts on here where this has caused problems for those with a working solution.  Guess I need to wait for the firmware issue to be resolved before I progress...

Regards

Chris

Hi Chis,

If it connected before and no longer connects the issue resides somewhere in the Nikon SDF and/or drivers. 

Please read this from this link (bottom of the page)

As per the quote below, try restarting the WIA Service.  I've seen this working while a hard reboot did not.

What is a SessionFailure exception?

I'm not 100% sure why this is happening. All I know is that when it happens the SDK usually becomes useless and the only way to fix it is to:
1. Restart the 'Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)' service 

According to Nikon's documentation:

The module cannot open source object because the camera cannot open more session.
The camera can open 1 session. If the client tries to open more source object, the
module returns this error.

Edit: Through convoluted ways, I managed to get in contact with the Nikon SDK engineers. They confirmed that SessionFailures are caused by multiple open sessions and that this error state is un-recoverable, meaning that restarting the WIA service is the only way to recover from this.

There are a few things that seem to influence the frequency of SessionFailure exceptions.

1. Make sure to call the Shutdown() function on your NikonManager object before terminating your application. This is easy to forget during development and debugging. Forgetting to call Shutdown() leaves the 'source' object open and seems to increase the probability of SessionFailures.

2. Make sure to use the USB cable that came with your Nikon DSLR. Using any other cable than the one supplied by Nikon seems to increase the probability of SessionFailure exceptions.

3. Do not use any USB hubs/switches. Connect the camera directly to your PC.

4. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your USB controller.

5. Try connecting your camera to a different USB port on your PC.

Hi Guylain

Unfortunately, as all else had failed and as mentioned in my last post, the last thing I did do was upgrade the camera firmware.

I have been trying to find out if the firmware upgrade is reversible, and if so, where I can get the v1.00 firmware file from.  Looks like Nikon support are closed for the weekend....

Chris

Yes, and my D7000 seams to be working just fine with the new SDK, though I did not do a firmware upgrade yet.

Send me an email at support@otelescope.com and I'll send you 2 files do download.

I have my fingers crossed.

Thank you

Nikon did this - released a Firmware Upgrade that is apparently incompatible with their existing SDK; AND failing to provide either an Updated SDK OR a path to Revert the Firmware.

So, while waiting for Guylain to work magic: Write to Nikon, pressure them to "Fix their Issues".

Latest response from Nikon:

Thank you for your update.

I am going to look into the issue you have reported regarding the SDK for the D5300 and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Fergus Smith

Advisor

Nikon Customer Support

Got the Nikon response re SDK. I read between the lines they have acknowledged there is an issue but are not committing to a fix:

I hope Guylain's contact is more productive.

Regards

Chris

-----------

Thank you again for your email.

I have checked regarding the SDK for the D5300 and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused however changes to camera firmwares are covered in the terms and conditions when are companies accepting the use of SDK's;

http://www.nikon.com/usage/group-info/index.htm

Adjustments needed to the Backyard Nikon astrophotography software would need to be made by the company producing it.

SDK's are updated periodically, but we cannot confirm the timing of these in advance of their release.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Fergus Smith

Got the Nikon response re SDK. I read between the lines they have acknowledged there is an issue but are not committing to a fix:

I hope Guylain's contact is more productive.

Regards

Chris

-----------

Thank you again for your email.

I have checked regarding the SDK for the D5300 and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused however changes to camera firmwares are covered in the terms and conditions when are companies accepting the use of SDK's;

http://www.nikon.com/usage/group-info/index.htm

Adjustments needed to the Backyard Nikon astrophotography software would need to be made by the company producing it.

SDK's are updated periodically, but we cannot confirm the timing of these in advance of their release.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Fergus Smith

That is exactly it, I'm waiting for an updated SDK... until then I'm a dead fish in the water :(

Regards.

Try these, but I think the issue is bigger than just a new dll and md3 files :(

I have received several reports from D5500 owners that the same happened to them with zero success no matter what they did.

I have just sent an email to my contact at Nikon to see if there are new SDK files for the new firmware.

Thank you.

Archived