Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Seeing red

kenklein

Question

I just started using 3.1.5 (although I am very familiar with BYE and have used it for years). For the second straight day after about 25 good images it started giving me completely red images. When I viewed the image at 100 percent I saw the entire screen in red and no longer had the minimize option in the right corner. I could only get out of the screen by hitting the "x" and shutting down the program. I checked my autoguider and it was guiding very well so the red screen was not the result of the telescope moving. The night view was not on so that did not cause the red. After restarting the program I took a ten second image and it was fine. I then took a 60 second image and the screen was completely red again. Any idea what is going on. Thanks. Ken

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 answers to this question

When you say the Screen is Red, do you mean that BYE has entered Night Mode (Toggle the Day/Night Mode button in the upper-right Panel to see this effect)??

Or are you running BackyardRED, which does basically the same thing to the entire LCD??

Or do you mean that the Entire BYE Window has actually gone a Red Color - with none of the API displayed in the muted Reds of "Night Mode"??

Please elaborate.

Hi Ken,

I have a hard time understanding your -red- issue :(

Can you provide a print screen if this occurs again?  It is hard to tell what is red from your post; the letters/writting, the BYE background, the entire screen (beyond the actual app, etc...)

Regards,

He said that he started to get "completely red images",  I took this to mean that the image display area is an undifferentiated red, but the rest of the screen, including BYE's controls outside of the image display control are normal.  But it would be good to have more detail.

Certainly if multiple users had reported your symptoms it would be a major issue for Guylain.  Since BYE 3.1.5 has been in use for several months and nobody else has reported something similar, it seems like it is an issue with your equipment.

If my understanding is true and only the images are red, then I would wonder if it is a display issue with BYE or are the .CR2 files themselves totally red.  What happens when you open one of the red CR2 files in another application?  Is it still red?  If so it would seem to be a camera issue, since BYE does not change the image data..

It would also be useful to know all the standard info like PC hardware, Windows version, running on a Mac?, camera model, shooting JPG or RAW, SDK version selected (Canon or Canon215). Also, is the camera stock or has it been modified? how?

I am using BYE 3.1.6, but when zooming to 100%, to see the latest image, the main window does not change in size. The only change is that the image is no longer fit to the screen and I have to drag the image to see the parts that do not fit in the display area.  It would be helpful to have more information.

I have attached a photo of lightroom with some of the photos I took last night.  Hope you can see it clearly.  You will see how I get about 25 good photos and then an orange color starts to work its way from top to bottom the image.  Eventually it turns to a red. I have used this camera, a canon 60 da for years with BYE 3.0 and lower versions and never had anything like this happen.  I am using a windows 7 computer.  While it could be the camera, I am thinking its has something to do with the program because at the same time this happened, the program went screwy.  By that I mean that when I enlarged the image to 100%, I could not longer go back to the screen where I started --the one with "connect, disconnect" etc.  The only way I could get out of the 100 percent view was to "x" out of the program entirely.  Then I went back to the program, opened it, connected the camera and the same thing continued to occur.  Meanwhile my target, NGC 1499 was still dead on in my auto guider. This is not an issue with the night mode because I checked and it was off.  The moon did not yet rise and no lights went on as it is at a remote site.  I was shooting raw as I always do.  I suspect it is some dumb thing I did but cannot figure out what it is.  I am around and can answer  any questions.  

post-11256-0-15943800-1454448160_thumb.jpg

Oh, this looks like you have some sort of heat source or glow being generated over time inside the camera body and this is being transfered to the image.

From what I'm seeing you would get the same result if you were using EOS Utility and even without a computer, just an intervalometer, with this particular camera body.  I can say this will high certainty because the change is progressive and BYE does not alter the image data, it is as-is coming out of the camera.

Do you have virtual mirror lock enabled in Settings -> Advance Settings?

I'd be curious if this would occur if you would put the camera in the freezer of 1 hour (in a plastic bag) and run the same test.

I was going to suggest shooting until you get red images; NOT shutting down BYE, but disconnecting the camera and removing the battery for several minutes.  Then reinsert the battery, connect the camera to BYE and try some more imaging. This would confirm that it some kind of camera issue, not a BYE issue. To me, with what you have told us, it seems like a camera issue.

Do you have an interval timer or remote shutter that you could use to execute a similar exposure plan while not tethered to the PC?  This would also confirm that what you are seeing is a camera problem.

As for BYE going "screwy". How are you displaying "full screen" image?  Are you using Presentation Mode? Zooming int to 100%?

post-2029-0-72803700-1454452248.png

Does this occur every time you use this method to go to "full screen" or only once the images become red?

How are you able to click on the 'X' button to close BYE if the image is at full screen?  On my system with 3.1.6 I am not able to re-create your issue with not being able to exit Presentation Mode.  What is the screen resolution of the PC that you are using?

I normally go presentation mode.  It always  worked fine before the problem occurred.  But once the problem started, I no longer had the option of x'ing out of the presentation mode or of minimizing the program.  I just had one "x" in upper right corner and if I clicked it, the program closed completely.  It is not a screen resolution issue because I moved the screen around to make sure that I was seeing the entire BYE screen.  Ken

I do not have virtual mirror lock enabled.  I think you are right that this is a sensor problem.  I will send the camera back to Canon and see what they say.  Thanks for everyone's input.  Ken

Before sending the camera to Canon you should shoot a similar plan without being tethered to a computer.  If you do not have an intervalometer you take bulb images with the body only, but you'll have to keep your finger on the shutter button.  Not pleasant but it will confirm a few things for you if the problem occurs like this too.

When you are in Presentation Mode, all you can do is close the Presentation mode window.  That window is a full screen window that cannot be minimized.  The main BYE window is behind the Presentation mode window and the only way to get back is to close Presentation mode. Clicking the X in the upper right of the Presentation mode window should only close that window, not the BYE main window, as well.

Archived