Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Busy and download time

neb1

Question

I am using bye along with my canon1100d, for the first 9 months or so the busy and download times once a picture has been captured was at a minimal time frame some where around 15 to 20 seconds. I have noticed the past week or so it is taking a really long time for bye to even get to the download of the picture. An example is 25 second exposure at 1600 iso from start capture to finished download is taking around 2 minutes. No changes have been made to my camera. Little help would be great.

Thanks Darren  

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

Current BYE version 3.1.5 is what I have been using, I now have the 3.1.6  turned  off the long exp noise reduction and the high iso speed noise reduction did a 3min exposure at bulb setting, 1600iso and picture downloaded within 5 seconds. Not sure if I didn't have the camera settings correct or upgrading fixed everything but its working faster than ever. Thanks for the input from everyone.

Thanks

Darren

What version of BYE are you using?  If not 3.1.6, you should upgrade to 3.1.6 and let the group know if that changes your symptoms.

It seems as though something has changed.  Like Windows updates, BYE update, camera settings, camera cable.  These are just some of the things that can change BYE's behavior.

You can double-check the camera settings, try a different computer, try a different USB cable, try a different camera, install an older version of BYE to a different folder and try that (only if you believe that an update of BYE is causing your issue).  You could also try to use a different version of the Canon SDK. Your camera will work with two different versions of the Canon SDK that are installed with BYE versions 3.1.5 and 3.1.6.  Try both versions (Canon and Canon215).

For astrophotography, it is recommended to turn off LENR (Long Exposure Noise Reduction) and instead take separate dark frames.  LENR will take an in-camera dark frame for every light frame, so if you are shooting 30 second exposures each 30 second light frame is followed by a 30 second dark frame.  Then the dark frame is subtracted from the light frame in the camera before the adjusted light frame is downloaded and processed by BYE.  This cuts your dark sky productivity by 50%!

Also, there is another setting that you should turn off in the camera.  It is called High ISO Noise Reduction!

As far as I can remember it has always been on, what do you recommend? Thanks for posting in the correct forum.

I recommend you check your camera menu and confirm long exposure noise reduction is off :)

Is this for bulb images or TV values?  As Rick said, you should upgrade to 3.1.x.  If you still have 3.0.x and you take TV values of less than 30 seconds then this could be normal.  Try 3.1.6 and report back.

Thanks

Archived