Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
PLEASE READ ==> If you get a StructureMap or EdsInitializeSDK() error please RE-INSTALL before posting in the forum <==
Heno

D750 and Live view

Question

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding live view.

1. When I use live view (without BYN) the camera screen responds to every setting I do (ISO/fps) by giving me a brighter/darker image correspondingly. However, what ever setting I use in the camera it seem to have no effect on the live view screen in BYN. Is it me that has missed something or is this by design?

2. Why does not live view (and imaging for that matter) work with U1/U2 camera settings? It would have been so convinient to be able to preset all astro photo settings to one of them. (I have all my preferred settings stored in U1 for normal photography. Makes life easy). 

Thanks for the good work anyway.

Helge.

5 answers to this question

The Camera-to-Program interface is made using a Nikon-supplied SDK (Software Development Kit).  These SDK are rather poorly Documented and often don't provide access to some of the more Advanced or Customized Features of certain Models.

For efforts to control the Camera Settings, you need to change the appropriate Exposure Control Settings in BYN (not the Camera).  BYN communicates the selected Settings to the Camera (overriding those you've set On-Camera).  This is especially so for Frame&Focus (LiveView) mode, although you can mitigate a bit of this behavior by going into BYN Settings and Un-Checking the "Maximum Sensitivity" setting.

Computer hick-up?

Much more likely some combination of Settings that you had used on the DSLR via its various Controls.

You may want to do some additional Experimentation so that you can identify the Combo that gets you into this Trouble, or at least what happens to reset it, so that you know for the future.

You wouldn't want to lose any Quality Astronomy Nights over something that you can figure out while testing the Camera connected to the Laptop setup on the Kitchen Table...

I had a D810A on consignment from Nikon last summer and it had live view simulation.  To activate it I had to disconnect the camera from the computer, activate live view, and press the OK button to activate live view simulation.  Once it is activated it stays activated so using BYN afterwards will have live view simulation activated and changing shutter speed and aperture (if a lens is connected) does change the live view image.

Try that on your camera and see if it makes a difference.

This option is only on some selected high end models I believe.