Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Resizing bye.

melvin

Question

Hi question a day here. I want to resize bye so that I can have various icons down the side but although I get the two arrow headed indicators icon I only get the corner ones to work. I need to move the screen slightly smaller, sideways, but although the two headed arrows show and I hold the mouse button down the sides will not move in or out. I hope you can understand what my problem is. I have been trying for a couple of hours now and even watched a couple of videos in the hope this issue is covered but it's not, nor can I see that it has been an issue for anyone else. Please advise.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 answers to this question

If you have sized the window as small as it will go, per Guylain's note above, you should still be able to move the window by grabbing the title bar and dragging it. You should also be able to make the window larger by grabbing any of the 4 edges or corners and dragging outward away from the window.  If this does not work, you are doing something incorrectly.  Your search for a solution should be in the Windows documentation, not BYE tutorials.

The GUI designed into BYE is not as "Flexible" as some other Programs, and the App's Icons don't "Reposition" / "Flow" down the Side when shrunk beyond a certain point.  Mostly, What you See is What you Get...

Is the Issue with the Resolution of your ToughBook??  It's surely more than 1024x768, so the "Use Notebook Resolution" will get you "some" area of the LCD not covered by BYE.

However, on most Laptops, you won't have enough Screen Resolution to enable you to put BYE and another App (even BYE Help) into a truly Side-by-Side layout.

If that is what you are trying, you may need to try setting up your ToughBook near your Desktop PC so that you can read the Help File on one and the BYE Screen on the other... 

Hi I measured the screen on my Toughbook after the comment by Guyroch and found it to be the minimum size, I could stretch the window but once it reached the minimum (1020x700) that was it. So thankyou for your comments, it seems I need to look a bit deeper when I encounter an issue. I have the icons that will hold any pics taken as well as bye red, sitting on my desktop so all I have to do is hold the mouse down and move bye one way to expose the icons. After watching Guyrochs video lasting just over two hours I noticed there were useful icons on the right of his screen and I'm to copy.

There are many methods of changing windows focus in MS windows. You might try Alt TAB (or windows key + tab if you have AERO turned on).

Hovering over applications icons in the task bar and then clicking is another (and the one that I use). Once I get everything started I tend to slide BYE icon next to AstroTortilla, so it's easy to get AT over the top of BYE so I can see both for platesolving. 

During imaging itself, PHD2 and BYE are pretty much the only things I need to look at. 

FYI you can move the different displays around and re-size inside PHD2, in case you wanted to try to fit BYE AND a graph from PHD2 on the screen at once (but it sounds like you have very limited screen real-estate).

Hi I measured the screen on my Toughbook after the comment by Guyroch and found it to be the minimum size, I could stretch the window but once it reached the minimum (1020x700) that was it. So thankyou for your comments, it seems I need to look a bit deeper when I encounter an issue. I have the icons that will hold any pics taken as well as bye red, sitting on my desktop so all I have to do is hold the mouse down and move bye one way to expose the icons. After watching Guyrochs video lasting just over two hours I noticed there were useful icons on the right of his screen and I'm to copy.

Yeah, but the laptop I was using for that presentation had a full hd monitor.  That is 1920 x 1080 resolution.  Well over the minimum of 1020 x 700 and this left me with a lot a space to play with for these desktop icons to show up on the right side.

The easiest way to determine the Pixel Resolution (more important than Physical Size) of your Display is to Right-Click on any bare spot on the Display and select "Screen Resolution" in the resulting Pop-Up.  This will get you to the "Control Panel / Display / Screen Resolution" Dialog.  There is a "Resolution" Pulldown, where it lists the current Resolution as well as allows you to select a Higher/Lower one.  If a Higher Resolution is Possible for your Toughbook, it will be listed here.

During imaging itself, PHD2 and BYE are pretty much the only things I need to look at.    ...you can move the different displays around and re-size inside PHD2, in case you wanted to try to fit BYE AND a graph from PHD2 on the screen at once...

I have a "Moderate Resolution" 15.6in Laptop, and I too have difficulty keeping everything necessary within easy view. Don't even mention when I'm running 2x Cameras on separate Mounts and 2x PHD2!!

I find that "Undocking" a couple of the most important Display Elements of PHD2 (Star Graph, Guiding Graph) allow me to position them toward separate upper corners - Star Graph in Upper Left resized a bit to better display the two graph elements; and Tracking History Graph toward the Upper Right - with the "most current 15-30sec of Corrections Graph" sticking out to the right of the overlaid BYE Window.  Thus I can focus on the actions on BYE while still observing the Guiding Performance in the "near background".

Perhaps this helps...

There is No Substitute for getting your own Practice and Experience to build a bit of Confidence...

(Remember - you don't need to waste any Clear Dark Skies for this Practice; just attach your DSLR to your Laptop on your Kitchen Table and "Practice"...)

Archived