Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

drift align

mguaveia

Question

Hi,

I have a Celestron AVX mount and they have a procedure for mount alignment to NCP (I used the star Algenid) . I tried to verify the alignment with dift align provided by Backyard EOS.

My scope tracking sideral rate, at x400 magnification on backyard EOS drift align, after 10' I didn't notice any drift so I am suspicious, what is the magnification to be used to verify any drift?

Is there any document that details the use of dift align with Backyard EOS.

Thank you

Michel

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 answers to this question

Michel,

Did you read the section about the Drift Align tool in the user manual?

You can change the zoom on the main image area You can also change the magnification of the the area at the center of the reticle with the zoom slider below that image.

post-2029-0-10638700-1449154625_thumb.png

The less the amount of drift, the more you will benefit from increasing the magnification.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your answer, but that was not my question, my question was how much of magnification should I use to reasonably start detecting drift. With a regular eyepiece, drift method people  for mount alignment to NCP recommend 400X. So for example with a 60 deg AFOV illuminated eyepiece of 50 notch-scale, a 400x leads to a TFOV of 60*3600/400 = 540" which give a resolution of 540" / 50 = 10.8 " per notch.

I use a DSLR with a sensor of 22.3mm with a telescope of 1278mm, so rephrasing the question is what is the field of view displayed by Backyard EOS with a 400x magnification?

Thank you

Michel

Hi Rick,

I am trying to measure the precision of my mount alignment, I am not trying to use BYE drift align to align my mount.

May be I should ask:

When I open drift align, zoom is set at 130x by default, what does that mean relative to the field of view? my pictures being 1 Deg wide.

Thanks

Michel

Archived