Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Upgraded firmware with Canon 400D

JohnK

Question

Hi guys,

I have an old Canon 400D which I am using with BYE - no problems with this - BUT if I update the firmware to allo me to use ISO3200 wondering if this will create any issues with BYE?

This is the firmware I wish to update to:

https://github.com/400plus/400plus/wiki/User-guide

If anyone has tried this if you can let me know!

Thanks,

John K

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 answers to this question

The best that you can do is TRY IT OUT!!

This Firmware Addition looks rather like the popular MagicLantern series of Canon Firmware Additions/Overrides, a Software that DOES work with BYE (in some cases).

The real question will be:

Does "Extended ISO3200" add anything to your AP Imaging Experience??    Probably Not...

ISO isn't the same for DSLRs as it was for old Film: Higher ISO Film actually meant that it was More Sensitive, but for DSLRs all that happens is a higher Digital Multiplication of the Data read from the Sensor (the Sensor has only one Sensitivity - higher for newer Models, but..)

Along with the Higher Multiplication of the Sensor Data, the Higher ISO also applies the Same Multiplication to the Sensor Noise - generally resulting in Brighter but Noisier Images.

Because AP Imaging is inherently Dim Images, the necessary Long Exposures mean significant Noise - Thermal and Pattern as well as Light Pollution and Transients.

The solution to Dim Images isn't usually Higher ISO but rather Longer Exposure combined with Stacking Multiple Images and Stretching the "Noise Reduced" Results.

Archived