Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

connection problems

bob

Question

Everything was working great and now can't connect.

I have a 40D and a canon 450

When I try to connect I get this message-

camera not found

attempting to connect

canon drivers initialized

I have tried different pc's & digics.and different cameras

I have tried different cables

I have even tried a restore

I have exhausted anything I can think of so now I'm hoping that you guys might have a solution for me:-)

Thank you, bob

9 answers to this question

If you can connect it is because Windows is not seeing the camera due to either USB problem or windows driver.

Try EOS Utiltiy and see if it connects.  When you get EOS Utility to connect so will BYE.

You need to figure out why Windows is not longer seeing your camera.

Make sure the Communication menu option in your camera option is set to NORMAL or PC Connection.  If it is set to PTP it will not connect.

Regards,

So you have different cameras, multiple USB cables, and multiple PCs and none of them work. Is that right?

First,  Are you connecting the camera to the PC with the 3 foot long USB cable that came with the camera, correct?  Not a DSUSB remote shutter cable?  No long extension cable?

What version of Windows is running on the PC?

It is not a Macintosh, is it?

When you connect the camera and power it on, does Windows signal that it recognizes the camera by playing the "device connect" sound?  Do you see the camera listed as a known device in the Windows Device Manager?

Do you have the Canon EOS Utility installed?  If so, does it connect to the camera?  When trying to connect BYE, the EOS Utility must not be connected to the camera.

thanks for replying Rick

Here are the answers for your questions

different cameras- 40D & 450D

Using original cable

Windows Vista and XP

Thdere always was a connectédisconnect  signal but not now.

There is no sign of it in the device manager

Canon utilities installed but wonèt connect.

When I go to computers, there is no f: drive for camera

Hope this is enough info Rick,   I donèt understand what Guy meant with the PTP message, bob

I don't understand what Guy meant with the PTP message

PTP Mode - "Picture Transfer Protocol" is the Mode which you can set your Camera where the USB Connection is used to allow the Camera to Control certain Canon Printers so that one can Print Direct from Camera.  PTP Mode blocks the "Standard Mode" which BYE requires in order to control the Camera.

But, your Issue is Deeper than that...

There always was a connect-disconnect  signal but not now.

There is no sign of it in the device manager

Canon utilities installed but won't connect.

When I go to computers, there is no f: drive for camera

This indicates that the Canon Drivers on your PC are either Blocked or Corrupted, else the USB Ports or Drivers are Messed Up, or simply that your one USB Cable has a problem.  All of this is well before BYE comes into play...

If you have another decently short (3-8ft) USB Cable, test with it.

Also test that Other USB Devices are able to be Recognized and Connected to your PCs using that original USB Cable.

If all else fails, test your DSLR and USB Cable on a Friend's PC.

Once you figure out the USB Connectivity Issue, then you should have no problem with BYE...

I agree with s3igell.

When the camera is connected, do you show any unknown devices (devices without a driver) in the Windows Device Manager?  That would indicate that Windows "sees" the camera but is not able to find a driver for it.

The support section on the Canon web site may allow you to download a driver, if there is a separate driver for the camera.  For many cameras there is no separate driver..It is included in Windows.

I have a new celestron 8se with a celestron focus motor attached at the mount. The scope is connected to a pc usb via the mini usb port at the base of the telescope controller. The celestron cpwi software for slewing and focusing works fine.  I have a canon t7i attached to the scope and usb connected to the same pc. BYE connects fine to the camera. I have installed the ascom platform and the celestron ascom driver on the pc. BYE shows the ascom focuser and the telescope however when you select settings on either no com ports are listed.  In device manager com3 is shown associated with prolific usb. I assume com3 needs to show up in the settings dropdown?