Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Canon Rebel t5i won't connect

msoutham

Question

I have been happily using Backyard EOS for a year or so on my Windows 7 laptop and XP SP3 desktop for almost a year. All of a sudden the program won't connect to the camera on the desktop. I just get that painful electric shock sound. Laptop still connects fine. The camera is on and powered, I can hear the tell tail sign that the computer has connected to the camera and I can even browse the camera with win explorer but Backyard EOS can't see the camera. This started happening in the middle of an imaging session after I changed batteries. I have lokoked on the canon website for drivers but there arn't any and I even downloaded the latest version of Backyard EOS.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 answers to this question

msoutham,

So the big question is what has changed on the desktop between the last time that BYE worked and the first time that you had a connection failure with BYE?

After you connect and hear the electric crackle sound, what entries do you see in the Log History? To view the entries, click on the View Log History link just below the Connect button in the upper left part of the BYE main screen.

Are you selecting the correct SDK version at Connect time? Have you installed the EOS utility?  This may install any drivers, since XP pre-dates the release of the T5i. Does the EOS Utility work?

You may need to send the log files to Guylain for more info.

Hi Rick,

Log history looks like this.

09:23:37  Attempting to connect camera...
09:23:37  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)

The older BYE 3.0. 3 doesn't appear to need me to select a driver when connecting the camera. At least it never has. I have tried both newer driver versions when connecting with version 3.1.5 but neither works.

EOS Utility was not installed previously but it is now but that hasn't helped unfortunately.

3.0.3 does requires you to select a driver, it always did.  You probably clicked the "don't ask me again" a long time ago.

You say that EOS Utility is now installed.  Does it connect to the camera?

Which drivers did you select in 3.1.5?  Canon, Canon215, or Canon210?

What you posted is not the log file, it is just a except for the UI.  Log files are found here.

If the camera is not connecting then it means Windows is not seeing it as a connected device or you selected the wrong driver in BYE.  The USB cable/connector seems like a possible culprit... unless EOS Utility can connect to it.

Keep us posted,

I have not changed any driver options in 3.0.3 since the connection worked.

EOS utility will not connect to the camera.

I have tried both 215 and 210 drivers in 3.1.5

I forwarded the log files for the session where connection was lost until now.

Windows explorer sees the camera. Good idea with the USB cable as I had not tried a different one. I have now and tried switching cables and ports but still no connection unfortunatly.

Thanks Rick

This might be the problem as the camera is not in the list although I'm sure it was earlier today when I checked the list. I just have to figure out how to add it as Canon is not one of the add hardware options and if I select the disk that came with the camera, windows cannot find any associated driver files.

UPDATE- Scratch that, the camera is in the list. It had disappeared because the camera was off.

If EOS Utility doesn't connect then BYE will not connect either.  This is some kind of Windows, or cabling issue.

If the camera and USB cable work with your Windows 7 system, but not with Windows XP, then this is some kind of Windows or hardware issue on the XP system.

The T5i is a DIGIC V camera so the Canon210 selection won't work. It is for the oldest supported models. Either the Canon or the Canon215 selections should work fine.

Thanks for the log files.... but there is nothing I can do with them because the camera does not connect.

This is a Windows/usb/driver issue.

Until you confirm that the camera is connecting using EOS Utility BYE won't either.  

Try EOS Utility and report back your findings.

Regards,

I just re-read your posts and you did confirm that EOS Utility won't connect either; sorry about that.

This confirms that it is a driver issue.  Try re-installing EOS Utility.

Once you get EOS Utility to connect BYE will connect too.

Regards,

Previously the OP said that the EOS Utility will not connect either.

So the computer is running Windows XP, the camera shows up in the Device Manager, but it will not connect in EOS Utility.  When you look at the device details in the Device Manager, does it show that the driver is installed and working properly?

Which service pack of XP are you running?

Has the camera ever connected on this PC?

I'm running XP SP3 and the camera has connected to BYE previously with the same settings.

The issue does appear to be between me, Microsoft and Canon so I'll try to resolve the issue with their knowledge base. I appreciate the assistance.

Archived