Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

download failure

jonP

Question

I paid and started my download last year but the download failed and my activation key has expired. I cannot download again because the system say already purchased. I gave  up as no-one got back to me.

I would like to start again, is there any possibility of a reset?

JonP

5 answers to this question

Paid activation keys do not expire. Only free Trial keys expire after 30 days.

Downloading the BYE or BYN software is separate from the purchase of a Classic or Premium license key or the free Trial key.

You can see the keys that were issued under your username by selecting My Purchases -> Orders from the menu bar at the top of this page.

If you had a free Trial license and would like to have a new 30-day trial, the owners of O'Telescope have been very generous with authorizing a second 30-day free trial.

I would also say that most of the testing that you need to do to learn how BYE will perform with your imaging workflow can be done with a lens on the camera while sitting with your laptop at your kitchen table. This testing can prove the basic functionality of BYE and can be done anytime. I can also help you to learn how to use BYE so you do not waste any rare clear, dark nights. Also be aware that the Trial license requires an Internet connection to validate your license every time your start the program. This means that the program will not start up if you are out of WiFi or cell phone range. This requirement goes away if you purchase a Classic or Premium license.

What you are asking for does not make sense, purchase keys do not expire. Trial keys do expire.

This said, you have never purchased a copy, you only requested a trial key back on November 18, 2021. You made several attempts to purchase, but you never completed the transaction and paid for it.

image.png

No, I guarantee that you are incorrect. I have had extensive experience with every version of BYE since I started using it over 10 years ago.

You do not need any license key to download and install BYE. You only need a license key to run the program. When the license key is validated the program will finish starting up, but the features that you did not pay for are de-activated.

Also, there is not a separate download depending on your license. So you did not "download the premium edition". There is only one download...BYE version 3.2.2.

I  cannot make this any clearer. If you used the jonP username when you purchased your license key then you have everything that you need to get to a point where you can attempt to connect BYE to your camera.

Perhaps you need some terms defined:

Download means copying the BYE installer, named "setup-BackyardEOS-v3.2.2.exe" from the O'Telescope servers down to your PC.

Install means executing "setup-BackyardEOS-v3.2.2.exe" to unpack BYE and put the files into their correct folders. This includes creating desktop shortcuts for you to use in the next step.

Launch/Run BYE means executing the BYE program. This can be done by using the desktop shortcut that was created during installation or by launching BYE from the Windows Start menu.

Validate License - When you launch BYE and there is no active license on the PC, the program will display a License Validation dialog. You need to enter your license key (either an active Trial license or a purchased Classic or Premium license) and your Identifier (your O'Telescope username).

From reading Guylain's recent post, it appears  that you do not have a valid license key since your Trial license is long expired and you have not completed the purchase process to get a permanent license key, so you will be unable to complete the Validate License step above.

I hope this helps you to understand the process.

2 hours ago, jonP said:

the download was the premium edition and was paid for. the download could not be restarted therefore i cannot use the key unless i purchase another download

There is no specific download for premium/classic/trial.... it's the same download file.

If the download failed, it's a browser issue, not a server issue. I get on average 20-30 downloads per day. Have you tried again downloading recently?