Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Software/control Issues with a D5500 or D7200?

RobertYork

Question

I'm considering dropping money on either a Canon or Nikon body for astrophotography (as I put in another post in the general forum). I'm leaning more heavily towards Nikon at the moment from a sensor perspective. Since BYN is fairly new, and support for Nikons in astrophotography in general is hard to come by, is there any gotchas or things I should know before getting too committed to getting a Nikon over a Canon? Am I going to be annoyed by software or control issues at some point? I've already heard about lack of mirror lockup control. While that isn't a problem for me, it makes me wonder if there's other things that would bug me or cause frustration. Does it have proper PHD2 support? Stuff like that.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 answer to this question

Mirror Lockup support isn't an Issue for DSO Imaging (or shouldn't be - Mount / Scope provide Structural Rigidity while Long Exposures collect very little light in that first 1-2sec before Mirror Vibrations have dissipated).

PHD2 Support is NOT Dependent upon any choice of DSLR Camera Make or Model - especially since PHD2 now provides for both Manual Dither and a Side App that performs Timed Dithers to mesh with Intervalometers and Image Generation Apps that don't have direct PHD-Server Support.

Archived